By the time Thanksgiving rolls around, students will be able to boast their school spirit with Penn logo-bearing clothing produced in fair labor conditions.

The Center for Technology Transfer has recently approved the request of Exports and Manufacturing by Penn Advocates of Workers' Rights to use the Penn logo on clothing produced by Ecuadorian artisans as opposed to those articles produced in sweatshop conditions.

As soon as EMPAWR completes the required paperwork and secures their contract for product liability insurance, they will be able to move into production and sales.

"It was not a surprise, but it was definitely very welcome news," said College and Wharton junior Alastair Green, an EMPAWR member. "We are definitely very excited that we now have the support to move forward."

"It definitely feels like a big step," Green added. "Getting the University's approval is one of the hardest steps in the process."

EMPAWR has been working and researching for many years to provide Penn gear that is made in fair labor conditions. EMPAWR split in fall of 2000 from the group Penn Students Against Sweatshops, which held a massive sit-in in front of College Hall in spring of 2000 protesting Penn's lack of involvement with the Worker Rights Consortium.

But EMPAWR member and College sophomore Samara Watkiss said that their struggle is not just about the clothing.

"The goal is not just to replace the clothing but to give [laborers] another option in moving forward in development," she said. Sweatshops often stunt socioeconomical growth, she noted, and alternative businesses can provide an outlet for economic progression.

Although CTT has approved EMPAWR's use of the Penn logo in the past, logistical problems in obtaining product liability insurance deterred the group from moving into full-force production.

CTT's Trademark Administrator Jacqueline Miraglia noted that EMPAWR "has been trying to get this off the ground for a number of years now." She added that although she receives requests from producers to make use of Penn's logo, EMPAWR's request is unique in that it stems from students' human rights interests.

Miraglia noted that currently, the University allows about 35 producers to use the Penn logo.

As EMPAWR expands, it will need to seek the support of CTT for any additional uses of the Penn logo on clothing and novelty items.

EMPAWR aims to hold its first sale on Locust Walk around Thanksgiving, and members have already taken steps towards using the Penn Bookstore for future sales, including a winter holiday sale.

The new clothing line has already gained some student interest -- EMPAWR backs "a positive political cause, so I think that would be even more motivation for me to check it out," College junior Kristina Go said.

Members of EMPAWR are already in contact with Ecuadorian producers and are starting to spread the news of their upcoming sales through word of mouth and sample sales on Locust Walk.

"I think there is a tremendous student demand for this stuff," Green said. "I think there are a lot of students who didn't realize there was an alternative to sweatshop-made goods... but when they realize they can buy a product like this, they are usually very eager to do so."

A Wharton Management 100 team is also hard at work on organizing a gala to raise funds and awareness for EMPAWR.

Wharton freshman Matt Crespi said that when his group was choosing a project, they looked for an option that would allow them to really make a difference.

"But this really seemed like the place where we could do the most good," Crespi said, adding that since the start, the team has supported EMPAWR's approach.

The formal event -- to be held on Nov. 22 -- will nearly coincide with EMPAWR's first round of sales, and will feature a fashion show.