[Anna Grafton/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

A picturesque view of Rittenhouse Square at twilight is framed by expansive windows, while on the table, the bill of fare for the evening is framed in thick mahogany. The bartender offers a friendly hello as you pass by on your way through the subtle, yet distinctive dining room.

Enter Smith & Wollensky, a steakhouse for the sirloin connoisseur and novice alike.

Located at the base of the five-star Rittenhouse Hotel, Smith & Wollensky is a prime spot for a business dinner or romantic evening out.

Neighborhood chums and Philadelphia elites routinely stop in for drinks at the graceful ground-floor bar. While this is not exactly Cheers, you get the feeling that "everybody knows your name."

Smith & Wollensky 210 West Rittenhouse Square (215) 545-1700 Fare: Steakhouse Over $20 Classic New York steakhouse at the Rittenhouse Hotel.

From the hardwood floors to the gleaming brass accents, the dining room is elegant and traditional, but not overstated. Light walls and dark wood panels offer a cozy atmosphere, but for the steak lover, all of that comes second. The beef is the real star at Smith & Wollensky.

The menu -- which arrives in a picture frame -- is straightforward and down to business. You will find everything you expect in a grand steakhouse, and that's about it. Executive chef Jason Miller doesn't add a lot of fanfare, just an honestly good steak.

To start, the Maryland crab cocktail and pastrami smoked salmon are just a few of the appetizers (most range from $10-$15) there to tempt. But the famous split pea soup (a bargain at $4) should not be missed.

The heart of the Smith & Wollensky lineup is consistent -- all you really want from a beef venue. Each of Smith & Wollensky's steaks is dry aged to perfection and cut in-house. The all-star entree is the sirloin, in either a 14 or 18 oz. cut.

Filet mignon, however, is the gold standard for quality steaks, and Smith & Wollensky comes through with flying colors (for $28, you would expect nothing less). A thick cut is essential for a rich flavor, and this 16 oz. is no exception. The perfectly broiled medium-well -- warm, slightly pink center -- does not disappoint even the most seasoned steak aficionado.

For the largest of appetites, Smith & Wollensky's 22 or 28 oz. prime rib choices are a grand slam. Quality again shows through with these succulent slabs.

Accessorizing your steak is by no means necessary, but if you wish, you can't beat the classic baked potato, loaded of course. Alternatively, opt for creamed spinach, hashed browns or onion rings, all sized for two.

As you would expect, Smith & Wollensky finishes the meal in style. The traditional steakhouse desserts are worth every penny, and calorie for that matter. The New York "store bought" cheesecake or the pecan pie are both good choices. But the ultimate treat has to be the chocolate cake -- a behemoth, standing nine inches from top to bottom -- which arrives on a carving board with a butcher knife stuck in the top and a lone strawberry.

All around, Smith & Wollensky proves itself among the elites of the Philadelphia culinary community. You can expect nothing less than a picture-perfect dining experience.