M. Hoops senior Adam Chubb plays Pictionary as part of the events for 'The Line' and midnight madness, hosted by the Athletic Department this weekend. [Adam Levin/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

The Palestra has welcomed many of the world's most talented athletes, but this weekend, Penn's historic gym played host to 250 of the school's most dedicated basketball fans who participated in "The Line."

The highlight of The Line -- a Penn tradition in which students camp out overnight to receive priority men's basketball tickets -- was Penn's first true midnight madness celebration, as both the men's and women's basketball teams kicked off their seasons at 12:01 a.m.

Participants arrived at the Palestra at 7 p.m. Friday night and were treated to a free pizza party.

At 10:30 p.m., the midnight madness events began with a series of games which involved both the students in The Line and basketball players.

There was Chili's Challenge, a three-point shooting competition which saw Penn starting guard Tim Begley sink as many baskets as his female teammate from The Line.

Other games included "Freshman Two-Ball", a munchkin donut eating competition called "Who's the Top Dog?", a foul-shooting competition between students and coaches, a relay race and "Penn Pictionary." The men's basketball team beat the women's squad in the drawing contest.

As the clock struck midnight, the women's basketball team was introduced. An intrasquad game followed that ended in a 24-24 tie.

"I liked it a lot," senior guard Mikaelyn Austin said. "It's important that we get the campus involved. I think that if they knew more about us they might come and watch."

Austin's father took her to midnight madness at San Diego State when she was a freshman in high school.

"He told me that one day maybe I would get to play in midnight madness," she said. "But I didn't believe him."

After the women's game ended, Penn men's basketball coach Fran Dunphy presented senior Jeff Schiffner with a plaque commemorating the guard for leading the nation in three-point shooting percentage last season. The men's basketball 2003 Ivy League championship banner was also unveiled.

"Our fans here are second to nobody," Schiffner said. "They really get us going."

Following the introduction of the men's team, the players had a scrimmage in which Begley's white team defeated Charlie Copp's blue squad, 29-26.

"Anytime you get the students supporting the players, it's a great thing," Dunphy added.

A crowd favorite at the game was junior big man Jan Fikiel, who has his own new fan club dubbed "Jan's Fans."

"I have a lot of friends in the stands this year," Fikiel said. "I can't wait for the first game."

Dunphy is using Jan's Fans as a way to motivate his German forward, telling the crowd that Fikiel is going to be under a lot more pressure to perform.

"He's enjoying it," Dunphy said. "But he's going to have to step it up."

Adam Chubb, Schiffner and Eric Osmundson refereed the men's scrimmage and did not play.

Schiffner and Chubb -- who are suffering from a turned ankle and a calf injury, respectively -- returned to practice the next morning. Osmundson is still recovering from a knee procedure he underwent two weeks ago.

"We'll tread softly," Dunphy said of Osmundson, whom he hopes will be ready for the Quakers' Nov. 21 opener against Wisconsin.

This was the first chance for Penn fans to see this year's recruits in action.

One freshman in particular -- Lorenz Manthey -- had spectators confused, as his name does not appear on the team's roster.

Dunphy explained that Manthey is a Wharton freshman from Germany who is practicing with the team, but has not been approved to play in games due to an eligibility feud with the NCAA.

"He's trying to become a player in our program," Dunphy said. "He played with pros in Germany but he never made any money. He's trying to talk with the NCAA."

Dunphy indicated that he hopes Manthey will be eligible for this season.

Saturday morning participants were treated to a men's basketball practice. Students could also go to men's and women's soccer games Saturday afternoon at Rhodes Field.

Fans also played in a three-on-three basketball tournament Saturday.

At 4:30 p.m., participants were given complimentary Abner's cheesesteaks.

After nearly 24 hours in The Line, students finally received their tickets and were free to go around 6:30 p.m.