[Lauren Spivack/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Gi^ Pronto may be the new kid on the block, but it is at no disadvantage with a rich food selection at prices that are more than reasonable.

Plus, it offers healthy, preservative-free and organic selections that even mom would approve of.

Situated in a prime location on the 3700 block of Spruce Street, Gi^ Pronto is ideal for on- and off-campus dwellers alike and is a perfect spot to stop for a bite before, between or after classes.

Owner and Wharton alum Marco Lentini and his staff are always friendly and seem to be putting forth a genuine effort to please customers.

Gi^ Pronto 3736 Spruce Street (215) 222-7712 Fare: Italian Deli Under $7 Retro-modern deli serving hot sandwiches and made-to-order salads.

Set up to emulate a healthy fast food chain, the lines can become a bit chaotic on weekdays.

The decor comes off as modern with chrome tables, muted citrus-hued walls and spotlights descending from the ceiling. But it blends together as a surprisingly warm place to grab a quick meal or to sit down for a casual lunch.

The tables and stools adjacent to the massive storefront window also allow a great place to just sit and people-watch along Spruce while sipping a cappuccino.

The menu offers paninis, baguettes and wraps that are prepared fresh on the premises and range from $4 to $6. They include such tasty fillings as sun-dried tomato hummus, assorted meats, roasted veggies, tuna and chipotle mayo. And soon, the restaurant will offer tramezzini -- small, low-carb English tea sandwiches.

Their salads are my personal favorite and average out between $6 to $7 depending on the ingredients you select. Gi^ Pronto presents an exhaustive display of unique items such as mango, seaweed, lentils, salmon and tofu as well as the typical vegetables and grilled chicken.

They supply complimentary whole wheat, sourdough and seed rolls with salads. The all-natural dressings such as Kalamata olive and caper and smoked tomato are infused with flavor and really help to distinguish the salad from blander alternatives offered elsewhere.

Gi^ Pronto also has a coffee bar situated in the back of the restaurant that offers cappuccinos, lattes and espresso shots for those early mornings or late nights. They sell selected pastries brought in from Le Bus Bakery downtown and Petit 4 Pastry Studios, including muffins, fruit breads, bagels and cake.

In tandem with the nutritious concept that seems to underlie the restaurant, the counters are lined with foods such as health bars, all natural popcorn, granola, rice crackers and packaged Thai soups. The drinks are simple and are limited to water, iced teas and San Pellegrino drinks.

Gi^ Pronto is a great addition to campus and is less trendy and more classy than many other establishments in the immediate vicinity of Penn.

Gi^ Pronto's regular hours will be 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. on weekends.