In any election cycle, receiving the endorsement of a local group or prominent individual can be a huge boost to a campaign.

This coming mayoral election is certainly no exception. In fact, in a race this close, these endorsements could be even more crucial.

Voters on Nov. 4 will choose between the current mayor, Democrat John Street, and his challenger, Republican Sam Katz. The election is a rematch of the 1999 contest that Street won by fewer than 10,000 votes.

However, things have changed slightly since the last campaign. In 1999, Katz did not receive the endorsement of a single labor union. This year, his campaign has received several such endorsements, clearly garnering some labor support.

"We've been very encouraged by the level of support we've gotten from Philadelphia's labor," Katz spokesman Nathan Raab said. "I think that the labor endorsements that we've gotten this year and the widespread support we've had from people in all areas of Philadelphia... supports Sam's vision of the future of Philadelphia."

Like Katz, Street has received several endorsements from both labor unions and activist groups from across the city. Street's list of endorsements includes the American Federation of Labor-Congress of Industrial Organizations, the Fraternal Order of Police and the Black Clergy. Katz's list includes the Philadelphia Firefighters Union Local 22, the Pentecostal Clergy and the Collaboration of African Communities.

Interestingly, neither the FOP nor the firefighters' union supported either candidate in the 1999 election, but the perceived actions of the Mayor's Office have pushed the two groups toward their respective candidates.

Gene Blagmond, spokesman for the FOP, said that his organization remained on the fence in 1999 due to reservations they had about both candidates. The group feared that it would not get any cooperation from either candidate when he took over City Hall.

Street, Blagmond said, has proven them wrong.

Street has "been very open with us," he said. "He's been extremely open with us as far as hearing our concerns, and acting on them."

The firefighters' union remained on the fence during the last election cycle for virtually the same reasons as the FOP. Since then, however, Union President Tom O'Drain said that it has found Street's door closed to its members and their issues.

"We have to fight [the Mayor's Office] for just basic safety equipment for firefighters and paramedics on the street," O'Drain said. "In this election we made the endorsement because Sam expressed a willingness to work with us."

The effect these endorsements will have on the candidates' prospects remains to be seen. Both campaigns point out that on election day, even the support of a union or group's executive board doesn't necessarily mean the rank-and-file will vote for the endorsed candidate.

Either way, the campaigns still covet further pledges of support.

"There are still endorsements coming," Street campaign spokesman Mark Nevins said. For instance, "I think all the Democratic presidential candidates at one point or another will make a stop in town to endorse the mayor."