Performers, dancers and even puppeteers gathered at 35th Street and Lancaster Avenue to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Community Education Center, a venue for local artists. [Ari Friedman/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Local residents who strolled down Lancaster Avenue this weekend found the street transformed into a venue for global arts, ranging from dance fusion and flamenco performances to African drum demonstrations.

The exhibitions were part of the Community Eduction Center's celebration of its 30th anniversary.

The CEC hosted its first annual Open House and Outdoor Arts Festival, "Celebrating Everyone's Creativity," on Sunday.

"We needed to do something spectacular to kick the year off," said CEC board member and local resident Jaye Allison. "With this beautiful day, it is spectacular."

The CEC, a nonprofit community arts-based organization that works with other West Philadelphia groups as well as the city's public school system, used the event to showcase some homegrown talent. Free performances from roughly 15 dance groups, puppet troupes, bands and martial arts experts -- who ranged in age as well as cultural background -- were held throughout the day at its 35th Street and Lancaster Avenue location.

"I am blown away by the artists' contribution," Allison said. "They are all divas. They engage the audience all the way from the little children to the loving families. It's been great."

The acts were exhibited both on an outside stage, as well as in practice rooms within the center.

"I think it is going very well," CEC Executive Director Theresa Shockley said. "This is the first time we have done this showcase."

Shockley added that the event would not have been possible without volunteers and donations from the surrounding community.

"We had no money to do this," she said.

For those involved, the festival was a chance to practice their own routines, as well as seek inspiration from fellow participants.

"I am thinking of it more as a bunch of artists coming together and having fun," said Tomas Dura, who instructs a flamenco class at the CEC, emphasizing the center's supportive role within the community. "It is an honor to be here. There are so many great artists."

While the event was not specifically a fundraiser, some of those affiliated with the center expressed concern about the financial difficulties the CEC faces.

"I think it is actually a community builder," said Jennifer Breckenridge, who performed at the festival. "The CEC is struggling financially. It really is a cultural center in Philly."

Allison added that state budget cuts to arts programs have "left a big hole for the Community Education Center."

Most of the groups who performed at Sunday's event are affiliated with the CEC, which offers artists space to practice, perform, teach lessons and maintain offices.

"Our mission is to support artists and work and connect in the community," Shockley said.