College Sophomore Adam Panopoulos looks over his soaked poster of New York City. The poster was one of many items ruined in a flood and ceiling collapse of his Harnwell College House room on Thursday. [Phil Leff/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Two students are still in temporary housing and many are reporting damaged and smelly carpets after a pipe burst in Harnwell College House on Thursday.

The pipe burst over the ceiling of room 2416 and caused water damage in the 16 and 14 rooms down as far as the 12th floor.

The two residents of 2416 -- College sophomores Adam Panopoulos and Gideon Cohn -- are currently living in the Sheraton University City. They said that their Harnwell room remains extensively damaged and without a ceiling.

"The damage to my room was just unthinkable," Panopoulos said, adding that he has not been notified of when he will likely be allowed to return to his room. "We're very frustrated with our situation here."

Calling the burst pipe the result of "normal wear and tear," Vice President for Facilities and Real Estate Services Omar Blaik attributed the problem to "a crack [in the pipe] that under pressure caused the pipe to burst."

And while some students said they did not understand what the commotion was about, others are still left with reminders of last week's flood.

"Quite a few students complained," said Wharton junior Rameez Dossa, who was working at the information center in Harnwell when the pipe burst.

Yet, for students whose rooms were in the water's path on Thursday, the flooding has had lasting repercussions.

"We expect some sort of recognition that this was not just a little incident," Panopoulos said. "It's a big deal."

Cohn -- who said he "didn't see the worst of it" when he walked in to find an inch of water filling his room last week -- said he has questions about the inspection and upkeep of the building.

"All I can hope is that the University does everything they can to expedite this process," Cohn said, noting that he wants both explanations and financial compensation.

Facilities officials said that the pipes could not be monitored because they are built into the wall and are not accessible.

"Our insurance... became involved and will compensate the students," Blaik said.

Yet, Cohn said, "It sounds like it's going to be quite a process" to receive compensation for his ruined computer, television and guitar.

Even though she was not relocated, 24th floor resident Neha Gupta said that there was "water everywhere" last Thursday.

"Now it just stinks," the College sophomore said, noting that Facilities had soaked up most of the water with a water vacuum, but that her carpets were still damaged.

Calling Facilities' efforts to repair the damages "pretty good," College junior and 15th floor resident Julija Zubac said that water had continued to drip throughout the night last Thursday.

"Our carpets were all sopping and disgusting," said College junior Madeleine Resnick, Zubac's roommate.

"We're in a difficult situation both personally and academically," Panopoulos said, summing up the roommates' situation. "As of now, we're hoping the University will be accommodating."