Penn senior quarterback James Donapel will lead the offense at Navy this weekend. Last year the Midshipmen shut out the Quakers, 48-0, in Annapolis, Md. [Trevor Grandle/DP File Photo]

The Penn men's sprint football team heads to Annapolis, Md., this weekend to open up its 2003 campaign, intending to avoid the embarrassment of last year's game against Navy.

The Quakers' bid for a Collegiate Sprint Football title took a hit in the form of a 48-0 blowout Nov. 1 at the hands of the Midshipmen.

This time around, however, the game's outcome will not go into Penn's CSFL record, as the two teams will meet for their league game on Oct. 31 at Franklin Field.

Penn junior running back Greg Bagnoli does not seem to think that matters, though.

"This is very serious," Bagnoli said. "They whooped our ass last year."

The team's third-leading rusher during the 2002 campaign will be key to a successful Quakers' offense on Saturday as he assumes the club's starting role at running back for coach Bill Wagner.

Wagner seemed particularly optimistic in regard to Penn's chances both Saturday against Navy and in its run for the 2003 league title.

As he sees it, for Penn to reverse last season's result, it will take "as good a punt game as possible." He also noted that any victory would be contingent on controlling the clock.

Keeping the Penn offense on the field is crucial to a successful outing, especially when the Navy offense returns a two-time CSFL MVP in senior quarterback Chris Ashinhurst.

Navy's 2002 CSFL title came largely because of the contributions of their signal caller. Ashinhurst threw for 953 yards and 13 touchdowns last year -- 169 of which came at the expense of the Quakers defense.

As a result, Wagner emphasized the importance of keeping Ashinhurst off the field by making sure that "we don't turn the ball over."

Penn defensive back Rayford June, a senior captain, does not seem to be too nervous to face the potent Navy offense.

He is "really excited. Especially when we did better than the [48-0] score," June said.

During last year's game, Penn forced three consecutive turnovers to open up the game.

However, the Quakers offense proceeded to return the ball to the Midshipmen by committing three early turnovers of their own.

Penn's defense, losing only one starter to graduation this year, will be counted on by Wagner to provide most of the leadership for the 2003 squad. Three of the team's four captains are on that side of the ball.

"We've been together since freshman year," June said.

Navy has already opened its season with a 48-13 win over Johns Hopkins. This will be the season's first test for the Quakers.

"Everyone is eager to play," Bagnoli said. "We're anxious to hit someone else."

Bagnoli and the rest of the Penn team will get their chance Saturday.

"Even if it doesn't count" for the conference standings, June said his team is looking to "get some momentum going."