Senior Jonathan Robinson missed all but two games last season. [Will Burhop/DP File Photo]

After the first game of last season, Penn wide receiver Jonathan Robinson had finally arrived.

Playing behind Rob Milanese and Erik Bolinder, Robinson was seeing substantial action returning kickoffs and in multi-receiver sets.

After a freshman year of six receptions for 57 yards and a sophomore campaign of 11 catches for 86 yards, Robinson was determined to make a more significant impact during his junior season.

In the opening game -- a 52-21 trouncing of Lafayette -- the former high school quarterback and free safety did just that, catching three passes for 34 yards.

But after a no-reception performance against Lehigh the next week, the current senior's arrival would be cut short -- abruptly.

In warm-ups before the third game of the season -- against Dartmouth -- Robinson made a sharp cut on the notoriously low-quality Franklin Field turf. This move aggravated an undetected fractured fibula he suffered at the end of the Lehigh game and shattered his high expectations of a breakout season.

"I really got hurt at the end of the second game," Robinson said. "They just didn't know, so I kept playing. I was playing on a broken leg throughout the week. I made a cut on our turf, and we don't have the best turf ever."

Coach Al Bagnoli described the bizarreness of the injury as "one of those fluky things."

Nevertheless, the timing was serendipitous, affording Robinson the opportunity to redshirt. If the injury had occurred during the course of the game, Robinson, playing in his third game of the season, would not have gained the extra year of eligibility.

"Luckily the game didn't start," Bagnoli said. "We've got him back for another year if he wants it."

Robinson remembers his junior season as one of failed expectations and misfortune.

"It was very disappointing," he said. "I was going to get a lot of playing time and be a big part of the offense. Everything was going great."

Faced with such adversity, Robinson vented his frustration through video games.

The West New York, N.J., native honed his EA Sports NCAA Football skills and decisively won an intra-squad tournament.

"I took that over," Robinson said. "Nobody has really challenged me on the team."

Robinson -- now fully recovered from last year's injury -- hardly has video games on his mind. Indeed, the 6'0", 185-pound wide receiver feels that he still has much to accomplish on the actual football field.

"I still have a lot to prove because of what happened last year," he said. "I definitely have to prove to the team that I'm a leader out there on the field and off of it. We've got some good receivers, and I'm going to be a big part of what's going on. I've got to prove it to myself and to the team."

And no one doubts that Robinson will emerge as one of quarterback Mike Mitchell's preferred receivers as the season unfolds.

"He's looking good," Bagnoli said, stressing that it would take the joint effort of Robinson, Dan Castles and Joe Phillips to offset the graduation of career receiving leader Milanese and his wingman Bolinder.

Replacing Milanese's 85 catches for 1,112 yards will require significant contributions from each of the three receivers.

Slated as the third pass-catcher in an offense that runs many three and four-receiver sets, Robinson will both literally and figuratively be at the center of Penn's air attack, showcasing his self-described ability to "go up and get the ball" and "take hits across the middle."

"He's going to be an integral part of [replacing Milanese]," Bagnoli said.

"It's going to be a little different," Robinson said. "When [Milanese] was here, he was the man. Now we have three weapons. It's not going to be a one-man show like it was last year. Now Mike has three options to go to, and we'll make it work."

Robinson believes that 40 or 50 catches is a realistic goal for the top three receivers. Yet he knows that one receiver may ultimately outshine the other two.

"Nobody knows what can happen throughout the course of the season," he said. "Maybe one guy will stand out at the end."

Along with experience and leadership, Robinson brings an element to Penn's offense that is certain to make him one of Mitchell's favorite targets -- the ability to make plays after the catch.

"I think he brings energy and excitement to the offensive attack," Mitchell said. "He's one of those guys who can take a five-yard hitch, put a few juke moves on, and take it to the house for us. He's that kind of player."

And Robinson reciprocates the affection for his quarterback.

"Mike's the total team guy even though he's playing quarterback and in the spotlight," Robinson said. "I just love Mike to death. He's awesome to play with because he puts the ball right on the money."

Above all else, Robinson appears poised to do everything he can to help the team in its quest to repeat as Ivy League champions. Whether it be with leadership or making plays on the dreaded turf of Franklin Field, this goal trumps all else for Robinson.

"It's a lot harder the second time around," he said.

Robinson knows that staying healthy is a precursor to everything else he wishes to do.

"My number one goal is to help the team," he said. "The best way to do that is to stay healthy. Last year I wasn't able to do that."