Sophomore Sam Matthews transferred from Navy and earned the starting running back spot this season. [Ari Friedman/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Sam Matthews joined the Quakers this summer, arriving in Philadelphia a month early to begin learning the ins and outs of Penn's offense.

Now, just two months later, the sophomore transfer from Navy has earned the starting running back role for Penn, beating out senior Jake Perskie and junior Michael Recchiuti for the job.

While Matthews is the starter, he will be sharing carries with Perskie, Recchiuti and sophomores Kyle Ambrogi and Kelechi Okere. One thing the the Quakers are not lacking is depth at the tailback position.

"It was definitely a blessing to get Matthews," Penn running backs coach Steven Downs said. "He makes practice that much stronger and more competitive, because all of the [running backs] want to show that they deserve to play."

For the past two seasons, Downs has coached All-Ivy running backs, with first-team selection Kris Ryan in 2001 and second-team selection Stephen Faulk in 2002.

Only time will tell whether Matthews will follow his predecessors' success, but one thing is certain-- he has the tools necessary to become an All-Ivy back.

"Sam's very explosive," Downs said. "He's got good field vision. He's a very good blocker.

"He's really been a spark plug for the team," he added. "He brings a lot of energy and the guys like him."

Penn head coach Al Bagnoli echoed Downs' sentiments.

"Matthews runs inside pretty good for a kid his size," he said. "He's got speed, and he can make you miss.

"He's a hellacious blocker and he can catch the ball pretty well -- so he's pretty much a complete package."

In his freshman season at Navy, Matthews rushed for 80 yards, averaging 6.7 yards per carry.

His most impressive performance came on Oct. 19, 2002, when the former Western Pennsylvania Player of the Year ran for 55 yards on seven carries against Boston College.

On the receiving end, Matthews gained 35 yards on two receptions, including a 24-yard catch against Rice.

While Matthews has been named the starter, there is parity amongst the top three running backs.

As of last Friday, Bagnoli was still unsure about who would be starting. The decision was made last weekend.

As of now, Downs said that it's not clear whether Perskie or Recchiuti will be the main backup behind Matthews.

Regardless of Perskie's role on the field, however, his role off the field may be equally important -- to Matthews in particular.

"Jake helps me out a ton, especially since he's a senior" Matthews said. "Anytime I have a question about anything, I can go to him."

Perskie's "biggest season," according to Downs, came two years ago, when, as a sophomore, he served as a backup to Ryan. Perskie ran for a career-high 224 yards and recorded three touchdowns, including two against Columbia.

But last season wasn't as successful for the Somers Point, N.J., native.

"Last year, he didn't perform as well as we had hoped he would," Downs said.

Nevertheless, Perskie will be an important contributor to the Quakers this season -- whether it's guiding Matthews or subbing in for him.

"Perskie had a good camp, and is a very smart player who knows the offense," Downs said. "When he's on the field, he makes things happen."

Bagnoli believes that each of the top three running backs "has the ability to do the things we want in terms of protection, running the ball and receiving."

What separates Perskie?

Experience.

"I would like to think that... I have been in the system the longest and I do my best to answer any questions they have," Perskie said.

Perskie understands the offense is difficult on newcomers.

"It's like learning another language," Perskie said. "Once you learn the new language, all the bits and pieces come together and it gets a lot easier."

After receiving little time in his freshman season, having a career year his sophomore year and a decent season in 2002, Perskie hopes that his last season will be memorable.

"This is my swan song," he said. "This is the last trip through. I'm enjoying being on the field whenever I can."

Recchiuti enters this season hoping to prove something.

The junior tailback has three more years of eligibility, after sitting out his freshman season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

He injured his hamstring at the beginning of this preseason, but after doing rehabilitation, "it's feeling good again," he said. "I'm looking to stay healthy throughout the season."

When healthy, Recchiuti is a dangerous runner.

He's "really an inside slasher, a downhill runner, with great forward body movement and very good leg strength," Bagnoli said.

Last year, he finished second on the team in rushing with 339 yards and two touchdowns. He was named Ivy League Rookie of the Week Oct. 13.

"His injury is not a problem -- it's more of a mental issue," Downs said. "He has the physical tools -- he just needs experience on the field."

Recchiuti agrees.

"I just need to come back into practice, get the reps I need and get a feel for the offense again," he said.

And the same goes for Ambrogi and Okere.

"They're both learning the system and improving," Downs said.

The two sophomores received no carries in 2002. Ambrogi will play on the kickoff, punt return and kick return teams.

For Ambrogi, like Recchiuti, "it's more of a mental thing," Downs said.

"I'm fine with the running part," Ambrogi said. "I just have to get better at the other things, like blocking."

While it may be tough for each of the backs to get the carries he wants or deserves, Recchiuti believes that having many tailbacks will be beneficial.

"It's good in a way because it will keep everyone rested," he said. "Having a fresh guy out there might be better than a guy who has carried the ball 30 times."

Indeed, after a total of 12 carries last season, 30 carries per game may be a big jump for Matthews.

But not to worry: he's got plenty of solid guys behind him that are eager to play.