In response to a recent string of robberies on campus, University Police will increase security efforts on and around campus -- including increased officer presence and video surveillance.

Between Aug. 27 and Sept. 23, there were 15 robberies in the University Police Department's patrol area, according to UPPD officials.

Last year, in the same time period, there were eight.

"It's just in the last week and a half that something has really kicked in," Vice President of Public Safety Maureen Rush said, explaining that prior to that, the frequency of robberies on and near campus had been similar to last year.

Since the beginning of the academic year, several robberies, in addition to two assaults, have hit campus.

Rush said that most of the recent robberies occurred west of 40th Street in the late evening and early morning hours.

"About five included some sort of weapon," Rush said.

Rush said that the University will be increasing the number of uniformed and plainclothes officers patrolling campus, particularly in areas above 40th Street where multiple incidents have occurred.

"We're saturating the area of concern, but not without realizing that crime doesn't stay put," Rush said, emphasizing that officers will continue to patrol the entire campus area.

Currently the UPPD is in the process of positively identifying five individuals who were arrested last Wednesday and linking them to specific crimes. Rush explained that there are indications that they were most likely involved in some of the robberies that occurred around campus in the last week.

Despite these arrests, the UPPD remains concerned about suspects who are still at large.

"We have some juvenile issues that are concerning us," Rush explained. "We have some juveniles that seem to engage in not so much robbery, but in harassment. The bottom line is this -- it's not just one set of perpetrators, and that's concerning us."

In addition to the increase of Penn Police officers on campus, other measures are being taken.

There will be a larger security presence, "both from Allied Security -- the red coats -- in addition to the University City Public Safety Ambassadors" who will be focusing on patrolling in the late afternoon, evening and early morning hours, Rush said.

Additionally, the UPPD has contacted the Philadelphia Police, SEPTA Police, Philadelphia Housing Authority Police, AMTRAK Police and the Veterans Administration Police "to make them aware of the situation and also to enlist their support," Rush said.

She added that SEPTA and Philadelphia Police are going to "increase their patrols in this area."

Rush also said that cameras are being added around campus to allow for expanded closed-circuit television patrols. Until now, cameras had generally been east of 40th Street with the exception of one at 41st and Chestnut streets.

"We are activating, hopefully by [today], a camera at 42nd and Walnut and a camera at 40th and Market," Rush said.

While these measures are being implemented, students say they are taking note of the crime situation, but haven't made any major changes in their behavior.

"I think crime is inevitable in certain situations," Engineering freshman Anna Mayergoyz said. "You can't have a security guard or a policeman everywhere, and even if you do, a crime could happen right behind them."

College senior Kristin Mendez has noticed that some areas on campus are not lit particularly well, and thinks increased police presence around campus is a positive measure.

"I guess I haven't really taken any more precautions, but I've definitely been more aware of my surroundings," Mendez said. "I feel like I look over my shoulder more when I walk home alone at night."

Rush encouraged students to take precautions to supplement those made by the University. The UPPD has suggested a list of safety tips which urge students to familiarize themselves with the locations of blue-light phones and to travel in groups as frequently as possible, among other things. Also, in the event that an incident occurs, Rush emphasized the importance of contacting the police as quickly as possible.