Admirers of University President Judith Rodin have yet to decide where the 58-year-old career academic should go next.

Many speculate that she will become a full-time politician, running perhaps for a seat in Congress or against Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum.

Others disagree, saying Rodin is better-suited to a more intellectual cabinet post rather than slapping backs and shaking hands campaigning in Pennsylvania.

But Rodin had something to say about her own future career as well.

Firmly dismissing suggestions that she may seek elected office, she confirmed that she will likely work with Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell after she steps down in 2004.

"I'm going to do some things for Governor Rendell," Rodin said, adding later that "we've been talking about ways that I might volunteer to help some of his initiatives, and we're going to talk some more this fall."

Pennsylvania Office of the Governor spokesman Tom Hickey confirmed that Rendell -- an enthusiastic Penn alumnus -- is considering ways in which he and the soon-to-be-former president can collaborate.

"The governor and President Rodin have had discussions about working together," Hickey said. "Obviously the governor likes to surround himself with smart, dedicated people."

Hickey cited Rendell's respect for Rodin's work revitalizing the city.

"As mayor, Governor Rendell considered President Rodin a partner in the revitalization of a city that the New York Times called the most dramatic turnaround in urban history."

Hickey said that, as "the Governor is facing serious challenges at the state level... he will always welcome President Rodin's help."

Rodin has built a solid Democratic resume, having previously served as co-chairwoman of Philadelphia Mayor John Street's transition team and on President Bill Clinton's Committee of Advisors on Science and Technology. Emphatically stating that she will not run for office, Rodin said a job in Washington under George W. Bush was unlikely.

"We have a Democratic governor, we have a Republican president," Rodin said, adding that she doesn't "see a very likely role for me in any public service under a Republican president... and I'm not going to run for political office."

Despite her political credentials, some said that aspects of her work at Penn may come back to haunt her if she enters politics.

Graduate Employees Together-University of Pennsylvania spokeswoman Rachel Buurma said that administrative efforts to prevent graduate students from unionizing will be "a huge liability" for Rodin.

"It seems very clear to us... that she would seek a position in a Democratic administration," Buurma said. "The fact that she's been union-busting in her own backyard doesn't look good for the potential appeal to Democratic voters -- many of whom are... union supporters."

Buurma said that even as an appointee, Penn's anti-union campaign has attracted enough national attention to make Rodin a hot potato.

"No Democrat wants an appointee in their cabinet or in their administration who's tainted with anti-union activity," Buurma said.