[Matthew Sorber/DP File Photo] Russ Brocato, here against Princeton, and Ben Krantz are both trying to move up in the minor leagues. Their former coach at Penn, Bob Seddon, thinks they have a good shot.

Four members of the 2002-2003 Penn baseball team are currently playing in the Minor Leagues, vying for spots on their respective teams' "low A" squads.

And so far, they've all played well enough in their respective positions to be considered for a promotion next season.

"They're all doing fine," Penn coach Bob Seddon said. "They definitely have a chance to move up to A ball -- maybe not this year, but next year."

Penn's two drafted pitchers, Ben Krantz and Russ Brocato, have solid Earned Run Averages, with 3.86 and 3.91, respectively.

Last season, Krantz posted an unimpressive 4.88 ERA, but still was the first of the three drafted Quakers to be selected. Brocato finished the 2003 season with a 7.34 ERA.

"Their ERA's are fine," Seddon said. "In college, with aluminum bats, it's hard to have a good ERA."

Krantz (0-0), drafted in the 15th round by the Arizona Diamondbacks, has pitched in eight games and fourteen innings for the Missoula Osprey (Rookies), who have a 14-17 record in the Pioneer League in Missoula, MT. He has given up only six earned runs, while striking out 10 and walking just five batters.

Brocato (0-0, 1 Save), a rising Penn senior, was drafted in the 29th round by the Baltimore Orioles. The Maryland native has pitched in eight games and 23 innings, allowing 10 earned runs. He is tied for third on the team in strikeouts with 18.

"Brocato is doing well," Seddon said. "But the key is, 'Do you move up to A?'"

On the offensive side, Nick Italiano and Andrew McCreery have been hitting well for their respective teams.

Italiano, who signed with the Philadelphia Phillies after being undrafted, is fifth on the team in batting average, hitting .327 for the Gulf Coast League Phillies. In 16 games and 55 at-bats, Italiano notched 18 hits, including three doubles, and scored nine runs. He has eight Runs Batted In and one stolen base.

McCreery, who pitched and played third base for Penn, is focusing on third base with the Diamondbacks. He plays for the Missoula Osprey along with former teammate Krantz.

In 31 games and 90 at-bats, McCreery scored 21 runs and has 29 hits, including four doubles. The 2003 Ivy League Player of the Year is batting .322, third best on the team, has hit three home runs and recorded nine RBI. He has 10 walks and three stolen bases.

"McCreery is really standing out the most," Seddon said. "He's batting over .300 and, at this pace, that would speak well for moving up to A."

Seddon believes that all four players have a legitimate shot at moving up to A. However, because all four players are in their 20's, they don't have much time to waste. While the rookie teams are composed mostly of recent graduates, a large number recently completed high school, not college.

"It can't take them too long to move up to A," Seddon said. "They're not 17 or 18."