Penn finished in fifth place at the IRA Championships in Camden, N.J. Heavyweight crew ended the season ranked 17th by USRowing.com. [Saad Saadi/DP File Photo]

While the results do not show it, Penn coach Stan Bergman believes that the Penn men's crew team significantly improved over the course of the season.

"The team made progress during the year, but we are not happy with the actual results, " Bergman said. "All three of the squads continued to improve their times despite not winning races."

On June 1st, the Quakers ended their season at the IRA Championships in Camden, N.J. The heavyweight crew finished in fifth place with a time of 5:55.23.

Harvard won the IRA's with a time of 5:43.41.

"We're not happy with the result," Bergman said. "We expected better."

The Red and Blue's second varsity eight boat crossed the line with a time of 6:11.79, good enough for fourth place in the Petite Final.

"Our results are not from a lack of effort," Bergman said. "It's due to good competition."

The open four with cox boat also finished in fourth position in the Petite Final with a time of 7:14.82.

Despite their recent results, Bergman is optimistic about the Quakers' future.

"We'll have a very young team [next season]," he said. "It gives us a chance to start with a clean slate."

The freshmen boat finished with a time of 6:19.07, which put them in at fifth place. The freshman four with cox boat finished the Third Level Final in sixth position with a time of 7:39.67.

"There are many good freshmen moving up next year," Bergman said.

The Red and Blue look to improve on this season with an intense training program over the summer.

"There are more guys rowing over the summer than ever before," Bergman said. "I'm enthusiastic about next year."