Four people -- including two University students -- were assaulted late Monday night in two related incidents, according to police reports. The victims were allegedly assaulted with a pipe and sustained injuries ranging from a fractured skull to a broken jaw. One was still hospitalized on Wednesday.

The first incident reportedly occurred at 40th and Baltimore streets late Monday evening, when a male and female both unaffiliated with the University were allegedly assaulted without provocation or motive.

Eugene Bruton, 25, was later arrested in connection with the assaults.

"He is in custody," University Police Deputy Chief of Investigations Bill Danks said. "You should be concerned anytime something like this happens, but it was an isolated incident."

The female victim sustained various injuries, including a fractured skull. She remained hospitalized yesterday, but was listed in good condition, according to Danks. The man she was with suffered no serious injuries.

At approximately 11:40 p.m. Monday evening, the same assailant reportedly confronted two University students near the Lower Quad Gate at 3600 Spruce Street and allegedly assaulted this second couple as he had the first.

Both students were taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania to be treated for their injuries. They have both been released from the hospital, though the female victim "suffered a fractured jaw and lost quite a few teeth," Danks said.

Approximately five minutes after the assault, University police stationed on Spruce Street stopped Burton when he was seen swinging a pole as he walked.

Burton was subsequently arrested and has been charged with four counts of aggravated assault, simple assault, recklessly endangering another person, possession of an instrument of crime and terroristic threats.

Danks noted that these assaults were not related to a string of assaults last April.

"We have increased patrols in these two areas," Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said, adding that Burton was possibly mentally unstable.