It's official -- Penn fans turn out in greater numbers than their Ivy counterparts.

Penn fans of affirmative action, that is.

About 500 Penn students, along with thousands from around the country, went to Washington, D.C., the morning of April 1 to attend a rally outside the Supreme Court as justices heard oral arguments in the University of Michigan cases.

With over half of all Ivy League students at the rally hailing from Penn, the University won the Ivy Student Affirmative Action Coalition's Contingent Leadership Award.

While ISAAC gave out a number of participation awards, according to founder Funa Maduka, the organization gave special recognition to Penn for its overwhelming presence.

Maduka, a Cornell University junior, also cited Vinay Harpalani, a doctoral candidate in the Graduate School of Education and a Daily Pennsylvanian columnist, for his leadership and commitment to drawing people to the rally.

"I think he really deserved [the award] just because he put in a lot of work," Maduka said.

Penn alumni also raised more money for the effort than those at any other Ivy school, according to Harpalani.

For Dierdra Reber, a bus captain for the Graduate and Professional Student Assembly and Graduate Student Associations Council, the award was "particularly sweet because it is a recognition of a larger Penn community that undergraduate, graduate and professional students alike came together to create."

Reber added that "perhaps more importantly, it also signals that there is a broad commitment to a racially and culturally pluralistic academic environment, with an awareness of the impact this environment is bound to have on the professional and socioeconomic fabric of the nation."

Indeed, members of almost every school at Penn were represented, from the School of Social Work to College undergraduates to Law students.

Sean Vereen, program coordinator of Makuu, Penn's black student cultural center, said he was happy to serve as the officer from the vice provost's office assigned to assist the student organizers.

"Our role in the march was to send students out to observe democracy in action," he said. "I was glad to go... and hopefully students got a lot out of it."