In the midst of Supreme Court proceedings that may decide the constitutionality of affirmative action, Penn officials have selected a new director for the Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Programs.

Longtime Penn administrator Jeanne Arnold, currently director of the African-American Resource Center, will assume the position June 9.

Arnold "has a terrific and well-earned reputation on campus," Chief of Staff Pedro Ramos said. "She knows the issues from many different sides and understands the importance of bringing the entire university community together around diversity."

Arnold replaces Valerie Hayes, who left the position early last month and assumed a new post at Yale University last week.

The OAA/EOP works to establish an appreciation of diversity in the Penn community and monitors Penn's affirmative action policy and implementation with regard to both students and faculty.

There is currently no interim director. Instead, the office's responsibilities have been divided among various offices, according to Office of the President spokeswoman Barbara McNeil.

"It's a coordinated effort among different offices," she said.

Office of Institutional Research and Analysis, Office of the General Counsel and Division of Human Resources are among the offices involved.

Ramos said that once Arnold expressed interest in the position, "We started zeroing in on her."

University President Judith Rodin said that, considering the challenge posed to affirmative action, promoting a current Penn staffer is important.

"We think particularly under these challenging circumstances that we ought to take a surer bet in the case of someone we know well and someone we've seen perform in the Penn environment," Rodin said.

Ramos echoed Rodin's sentiments.

"Being an internal candidate, Jeanne already knows the University well and has skills and credibility, and that makes it a whole lot easier," Ramos said.

Arnold has worked in the AARC for eight years, advised the president, provost and executive vice president and acted as a mediator with faculty, staff and students.

She said she is excited to assume her position and will pay close attention to the Supreme Court ruling.

"I am certainly looking forward to the opportunity to take on a significant leadership role in support of affirmative action at Penn," Arnold said. "There is nothing more important now, considering what is going on in society."

According to Arnold, the University is prepared for whatever decision the Supreme Court renders, but the office is awaiting judgment before acting.

"The commitment to affirmative action at Penn remains strong," she said. "I feel good about that. We will just have to wait and see what needs to be done, if anything."

United Minorities Council Chairwoman Darcy Richie, a College junior, said that she is confident that, no matter what the Supreme Court decision, the OAA/EOP will "find progressive ways to accomplish their goals."

Richie added that "they are saying, 'Wait and see,' but are preparing for whatever may come behind closed doors."