Mosher

The Philadelphia Police Department's investigation into Penn's former vice provost and director of libraries -- which became public last week -- began last summer when he brought his broken laptop to a repair shop and employees found images of child pornography in his files.

Employees reported the information about Paul Mosher's files to University Police who then turned the information over to the Philadelphia Police.

"When Penn Police became aware of the situation, they immediately reported it to the Philadelphia Police as they are required to do by law," University spokeswoman Lori Doyle said. "The Philadelphia Police conducted a careful investigation over an extended period and the University was not involved in the investigation. It would be inappropriate for us to take action or discuss investigations before they result in charges."

Mosher, who resigned from his post last week, has been charged with possession of child pornography, illegal use of a computer and possession of an instrument of crime, his computer.

The investigation began in August after employees at the computer repair shop had to make a backup copy of Mosher's files and later discovered pornographic images on the copy, the Philadelphia Daily News reported yesterday. No information about the investigation was released to the public at that time.

Mosher is currently scheduled for a preliminary hearing on April 30 at the 18th District Police Station at 55th and Pine streets, according to Kathy Abookire, a spokeswoman for the Philadelphia District Attorney's office.

He turned himself in to Philadelphia Police Monday afternoon and was arraigned later that evening. Bail was set at $15,000.

Mosher did not post bail at the station, but was transferred to the Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility, at 7901 State Rd., according to police. Philadelphia Prison Public Information Officer Bob Eskind could not be reached yesterday to comment on whether Mosher had eventually posted bail.

The Philadelphia Police Special Victims Unit seized Mosher's computer from his office in Van Pelt Library on April 11 after police had enough information to proceed with charges, Doyle said. At that point, University officials took action and placed Mosher on administrative leave.

Three days later, Mosher resigned from his post as vice provost.

Paul Messing, Mosher's attorney, declined to comment on the situation yesterday.