BOSTON -- From security concerns to worrying about friends in the service to questions over what channel will televise the games, this year's NCAA Tournament seems indelibly linked with the war in Iraq.

"It gives you real perspective on things," Penn junior guard Jeff Schiffner said.

However distracting circumstances may be, the athletes are unanimous in their desire to play -- not just for their own sake.

"I think the country has always turned to sporting events where there's something of this magnitude," Schiffner said. "It can really help people take their concentration off of that a little bit."

While the athletes hope to take other peoples' minds off the calamity in the Middle East, they admit that they are as transfixed to their television sets as any other citizen.

"We sat last night and watched President Bush and all the scary stuff about war," Toole said."It's pretty scary stuff."

"These are thoughtful and introspective young men," Penn coach Fran Dunphy said. "They were watching CNN last night... they think a lot about the situation that the world is in. These kids understand that there are people their age that are not here in the states enjoying the freedom we have... I think you can find that throughout college basketball today."

Dunphy was correct at least as far as the Quakers' opponent today is concerned. The Cowboys were every bit as solicitous of America's armed forces as the tournament's Ivy representative.

"We were watching on the news last night how some of the troops over there were hoping that we could keep playing," Oklahoma State guard Melvin Sanders said. "Because it's kind of a joy for them to watch us... it's kind of a joy for us to play basketball... kind of a joy to know we can keep playing and support them too."

The athletes will keep playing; however, yesterday, it was not possible to watch them on the normal destination for college basketball fans.

CBS reached a last-minute deal with ESPN to transfer the broadcast rights to the tournament games to the all-sports station in case of emergency. CBS instead showed exclusive war coverage yesterday afternoon.

Due to the time difference of eight hours, yesterday afternoon in the United States was night in Iraq and therefore the time for much of the military activity. By the time the second session of games began -- at approximately 7:00 p.m. -- CBS resumed broadcasting as relatively little action was occurring in the Persian Gulf.

This afternoon's games -- including Penn versus Oklahoma State -- could also be broadcast on ESPN. The athletes involved just hope that those who watch, soldiers and citizens alike enjoy the distraction of the game, regardless of who wins.

"If, for a couple hours tomorrow, you can watch our game and cheer us on or cheer Oklahoma State on and get a little relief from the bad things that are going on that's great," Toole said. "And it makes us feel like we're doing something good and helping some people out."

In time of war, the athletes can hope to do little else.