This year's 800 meter final at the Indoor National Track and Field Championships had all the players in place for an epic rematch of last spring's duel between Penn senior Sam Burley and South Carolina junior Otukile Lekote.

The only difference -- a new, indoor venue at the University of Arkansas as opposed to last year's outdoor setting in Oregon.

Burley -- who finished second behind Lekote in last year's outdoor championships -- blazed to a 148.26 victory in the qualifying round.

The victory afforded him the opportunity to avenge last spring's loss--a loss which, incidentally, thrust him into stardom as the fastest American in the 800m.

But, revenge eluded Burley. Indeed, things did not go as planned for Lekote, either.

Burley's renowned strategy of beginning the race in last place and kicking into gear for the final 200 meters finally floundered as indicated by his third-place finish.

"I didn't run the 400m-600m stretch very intelligently," he said. "I felt like I could have run a little faster."

Though it was not too shabby for most collegiate runners, Burley's third-place 1:48.25 finish did not meet his deservedly high standards.

"I had the opportunity to win it, but I didn't," he said. "They simply outraced me."

Burley managed, however, to beat his nemesis. Lekote, in uncharacteristic fashion, stumbled to a seventh place finish.

"It's hard to be dominant [in the 800m race]," Burley said. "Everyone loses at some point."

The members of the team who did not qualify for the national meet traveled to Boston to compete in IC4A championship.

The Red and Blue, plagued by injury and illness, saw mixed results, highlighted by four top-10 finishes.

Junior Matt Wedge sped to a fourth-place finish in the 55m hurdles in a time of 7.54.

Senior Brian Abram also had a solid weekend, taking eighth in the 400m in 48.03.

In the mile, the Quaker distance contingent -- represented by sophomores Nolan Tully and Stephen Hayes -- failed to achieve its goals.

Tully, who finished 21st with a time of 4:13.3, expressed disappointment.

"I didn't really run as fast as I wanted to," he said. "My goal was to run 4:10, but it didn't happen."

Hayes' inability to meet his goal, in contrast, could not be attributed to his own failures.

Hayes tripped over eventual champion Richard Kiplagat of Iona at the beginning of the qualifying race.

"He fell down, and I barreled into him," Hayes said. "I'm not pissed at him. It wasn't like he meant to do it."

The fall likely cost him a spot in the finals and a chance at a personal record. "It was rough for [Hayes]," Tully said.

Also highlighting the weekend was Neal Wojdowski's 10th-place finish in the pole vault and Christopher Carter's third-place finish in the pentathlon.

Despite several "great performances" at IC4As, Hayes felt the Quakers' performance was "pretty mediocre" overall.

The Red and Blue look to the spring, eager to repeat as Heptagonal champions.

Burley, however, has set his goals higher.

He hopes to win at nationals and then compete professionally after graduation.

"I'm excited for the spring," Burley said. "I'd like to win a title."