Penn Six members hold an indoor rally in support of the unionization of the a cappella groups on campus. Inspired by the recent GET-UP movement, a cappella singers feel they are what keeps the University up and running. [Geoff "I'm High on Life" Robin

(This article appeared in the 3/31/03 joke issue) Frustrated with their place in the University community, many of Penn's a cappella troupes have united to form a union organizing committee, the first step toward formal collective bargaining.

Following the example of Graduate Employees Together-University of Pennsylvania, whose recent campaign to unionize around 1,000 Penn graduate students "captured our imaginations and thrilled our souls," according to Chord on Blues member Vladimir Ulyanov, the groups have formed Musicians and Orators for Radical Economics-Proud A Cappella Youth.

Members of MORE-PAY claim that the University is not providing them with essential materials, such as poster board and big chalk, and as a result they are unable to successfully complete their job to the detriment of the University.

"It's not possible to produce quality a cappella with sub-par materials," said College sophomore Ulyanov.

"This is just a sham," Deputy Provost Peter Conn responded. "By systematically and deliberately excluding Engineering and Wharton students in a cappella groups, MORE-PAY has essentially gerrymandered" the unit responsible for voting on unionization.

Authorization card drives began in 30 of Penn's 52 recognized a cappella choirs, already demonstrating majority support for unionization -- support that union organizers believe will only continue to grow.

"The University really has no argument here," MORE-PAY spokeswoman Cheryl Peterson said. "We really hold this place together."

Some, however, find the committee's tactics overly aggressive and its message unconvincing.

"I told them I didn't want to sign, and they just kept singing at me," College junior Rachel Moore complained. "I love a cappella, but perverting it to serve a political agenda is just sick."

MORE-PAY's demands include University stipends and fully funded healthcare for union members, items members say are in line with union contracts at other universities.

The regional office of the National Labor Relations Board is scheduled to deliver its decision in one week after a series of hearings on whether union elections will be authorized.

According to Conn, "the University is confident that the outcome will be favorable."

Conn was recently cleared of all charges for pouring motor oil over a Princeton debater.

Penn votes: The union debate

With the graduate student union elections just one week away, Penn's campus is gearing up to vote -- and sorting through the numerous facets of the complex decision.

So before the elections take place on Feb. 26 and 27, The Daily Pennsylvanian will examine some of the various issues surrounding the unionization debate, such as healthcare and tax status.

As you read, please share your ideas regarding graduate student unionization below.

h3 align="center">Penn votes: The union debate

ith the graduate student union elections just one week away, Penn's campus is gearing up to vote -- and sorting through the numerous facets of the complex decision.