Harvard senior Patrick Harvey (left) is the second-leading scorer in the Ivy League but was expelled from Harvard due to academic troubles. [Andrew Margolies/DP FIle Photo]

The college basketball career of Harvard star Patrick Harvey -- the second leading scorer in the Ivy League this season -- is over. "Pat is not going to be eligible to play with us for the remainder of the season," John Veneziano, assistant director of athletics at Harvard, confirmed yesterday. The Harvard Administrative Board made the ruling Tuesday but it did not become public knowledge until yesterday. This meeting followed Harvey's poor academic showing last semester. The senior has been one of the finest players in the Ivy League the last two years. He was a unanimous first team All-Ivy selection a year ago when he averaged 18.1 points per game -- good for second in the Ivy League. He had averaged 16.7 points per game so far this season. The Harvard star was placed on academic probation at the end of last season. He met with the Administrative Board after receiving at least one unsatisfactory grade last semester. Harvard's academic rules state that a student can be dismissed from school after two semesters in which a "satisfactory record" is not attained. Harvard's final exams are held in mid-January. Following their completion Harvey expressed concern over their outcome to his teammates. "He was in good academic standing until [the fall] semester," Venenziano said. Harvey will not be able to attend the University this semester but that does not necessarily mean his academic career at Harvard is over. "He can petition the [Administrative] Board next year to return and get his degree," Venenziano said. However, he would not be able to play for the Crimson again. This was not the first time the basketball star met with troubles in the classroom. After his freshman year -- 1998-99 -- Harvey was forced to leave school the following year due to academic problems. In what will go down as Harvey's last collegiate game -- against archrival Yale -- he played all 40 minutes and recorded 16 points in the 73-68 loss to Yale. After the game Harvard coach Frank Sullivan informed the team that their star player would not remain due to his substandard academic performance. Despite Sullivan bracing the Crimson for Harvey's dismissal, there was no final ruling until the hearing Tuesday. Harvard (10-9, 2-4 Ivy League) has lost four of its last six after a fast start. The Crimson have lost to each of the four teams -- Yale, Princeton, Brown and Penn -- who are expected to contend for the Ancient Eight title. However a year ago -- despite, as usual, lingering in the middle of the pack in the league -- the Crimson had a significant impact on the title race. Harvard upset Penn, 78-75, and helped force a three-way tie for first. After the Quakers' win over Harvard this year, Penn coach Fran Dunphy commented that it would be very hard to win at Harvard later this season. It might not be as hard as he once thought.