He was a giant among giants.

He was a philanthropist, donating over a billion dollars to improve public education. He was an avid art collector, whose paintings decorate the walls of major museums. He was Walter Annenberg, and now that he's gone, some of the giants came together to remember their friend.

Last Friday, Annenberg's memorial service featured reflections from 15 prominent speakers, including everyone from University President Judith Rodin to U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell. Annenberg died on Oct. 1 at the age of 94.

The service began at 11 a.m. sharp when retired judge Arlin Adams welcomed the crowd of 1,000 invitees.

"In most cases, no introduction is necessary and would be inadequate," Adams said, explaining the services' tight schedule, which required clockwork coordination and left no time for speaker introductions.

In fact, the high profile nature of many of the speakers called for tantamount security measures. Blending in amidst the roses gracing the stage and the balcony rows of red velvet seats were numerous secret service agents.

After Rabbi Ronald Sobel gave the invocation, the curtain lifted to reveal the complete Philadelphia Orchestra who, looking perfectly at home in the Academy of Music where the service was held, began with an excerpt from Antonin Dvorak's New World Symphony.

Carnegie Corporation President Vartan Gregorian led off the speakers.

"For those to whom much is given, much is expected," he said. Annenberg "believed that the key to America's future is access to educational opportunity. There are today Annenberg investments all over the country, from rural areas to urban America."

One such investment -- the world renowned Annenberg School for Communication -- sits on Penn's very own campus, and recently reaped the benefits of yet another Annenberg generosity -- a $100 million gift from the Annenberg Foundation.

It was this monetary benevolence that the other speakers touched upon until Rodin spoke on his personal endowments and gifts of friendship.

"When asked how he was feeling, he would reply, 'Grateful. And hopeful,'" Rodin recalled. "So today, all of us who knew Walter Annenberg are grateful. And hopeful. We are all so much better off for having known you."

After another orchestral interlude, Anne d'Harnoncourt continued the remembrance.

"Today and far into the future, so many places of culture around the world will resonate with Walter Annenberg's voice," said d'Harnoncourt, speaking from personal experience as director of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. "Despite his venerable years, he remained the youngest of all of us."

Certainly, it was veneration that Annenberg held for his artistic collections.

"There were very few collectors who so dearly and passionately loved each and every one of his pictures," Metropolitan Museum of Art Director Philippe deMontebello said.

Then Pennsylvania Governor-elect Ed Rendell took the stage.

"This man who walked with kings and heads of state was in fact an imp... who would always do the unexpected," said Rendell, doing the unexpected himself by calling attention to the mogul's mischievous streak.

Rendell then reflected on Annenberg's importance to the City of Brotherly Love.

"As Walter Annenberg made his way and breadth across the world, he never forgot Philadelphia," Rendell said. "The city of Philadelphia has truly lost one of its finest sons."

Barbara Walters and Senator Arlen Specter followed, respectively noting, "How he loved to laugh, my friend Walter!" and "among his fine attributes, he was a very fine fellow to have a martini with."

The Philadelphia Orchestra's rendition of Edward Elgar's "Nimrod" then gave way to the event's all-star political line-up of leaders past and present -- Julie Nixon Eisenhower, George Shultz, Barbara Bush, Nancy Reagan, Powell and Gerald Ford.

Powell drew laughs from the crowd as he showcased a talent for narrative not always seen on CNN, sharing anecdotes about a a laryngitis debacle and a lunch with the Annenbergs, to which he wore Kmart attire.

Reading comments from both "Number 41" and current president "Number 43," Bush noted that Annenberg "was a giant of a man."

But in the end, Annenberg will be missed by more than just giants.

"I thought the memorial was very touching," said Talia Jomini, a first-year graduate student in the Annenberg School for Communication. "I owe my education to him.... Without him, I would not be here."