All members of the Penn chapter of the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority officially announced their intent to resign from the chapter last night.

The Penn branch will close down for an unspecified amount of time and is no longer a part of the University's Greek system.

A Phi Sigma Sigma press release attributed the resignation to the local and national organizations' differing views regarding the "future direction of the house," and also noted that "conflicts have arisen over certain policies and values of the national organization."

The Penn chapter -- which is located at 4032 Walnut Street -- was composed of more than 60 members, including Panhellenic Council President Alison Ng and Secretary and Wharton junior Laura Harris.

In an e-mail statement following the release, Phi Sigma Sigma President Leigh Blechman expounded on issues that have yielded member resignation on Penn's campus.

"The local chapter of Phi Sigma Sigma has decided to close with a large majority of the women choosing to deactivate from the national organization," the Wharton senior wrote. She continued by explaining that "the bureaucracy of Phi Sigma Sigma has caused the organization to forget what sororities and Greek life are created to promote, and the former sisters no longer want to be associated with such an organization."

A deactivated member can no longer participate in any sorority functions, local or national.

According to Phi Sigma Sigma national official Sandy Grossman, while "the national organization has no intention of revoking the chapter" on Penn's campus, it does "intend to work with the University to reestablish" a new branch of the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority sometime in the future.

Blechman wrote in her statement that "the former sisters of this chapter are insulted that the national organization plans to reestablish themselves on Penn's campus."

Despite their resignation, Panhellenic Council members affiliated with Phi Sig intend to maintain their current leadership positions.

"Members of the executive board affiliated with Phi Sigma Sigma will remain on the board to finish out their terms with the full support of the Panhellenic Council and the other chapters here on campus," said Ng, a Wharton senior.

In a press release from Panhel following Phi Sig's announcement, the Council expressed its support for the sorority and the decisions made by its former members.

"While the Panhellenic Council sincerely regrets the temporary reorganization of one of our chapters, we fully support the conclusions reached by the chapter," the statement read.

Panhel's press release also explained that the decision "to leave campus was made between the local chapter and their national organization."

Grossman, however, said the national organization has yet to receive information regarding the resignation of the chapter or individual members' intent to deactivate.

"We are in receipt of nothing," Grossman said.