David Cohen, Ed Rendell's former chief of staff, discusses the events of the campaign and the reasons for Rendell's success in the fall election. [Abby Stanglin/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Although Ed Rendell served as Philadelphia's mayor for seven years, few thought him likely to become state governor.

In fact, according to his former chief of staff David Cohen, if you turn the clock back 2 1/2 years, there were only three people who believed Rendell would win the seat -- "Ed, me... and there had to have been someone else," he said.

But as time and the recent Pennsylvania elections have shown, Rendell won the gubernatorial position, defeating both primary opponent Bob Casey and general election opponent Republican Mike Fisher.

On Friday afternoon at the Law School, Cohen explained to Penn students and faculty how, despite many discouraging early poll results and expert opinions, Rendell and his team achieved this victory.

"There was a sense that a Jew from Philadelphia who believes in abortion and gun control cannot be elected in Pennsylvania," Cohen said.

But, fortunately for Rendell, "conventional wisdom is for losers," as Cohen put it.

Cohen attributed the Pennsylvania governor-elect's success to several factors. First, he gave credit to the candidate's charismatic personality, through which he was able to overcome many political stereotypes.

Unlike most Philadelphia politicians, Cohen joked,"when Rendell wears a suit, his tie is likely to have mustard on it."

Second, Cohen emphasized Rendell's widespread popularity and media attention.

"There has never been a candidate with a political base like Rendell's," Cohen said.

He went on to praise the quality of Rendell as a person.

"The business of politics has gotten ugly," Cohen said. "The best thing about this campaign is that it shows the candidate still matters.... We had the better candidate and that really mattered at the end of the day."

Cohen also touched on several procedural advantages Rendell had working for him, such as $40 million in his bank account and a "presidential election quality campaign."

A Penn Law graduate, Cohen has played a highly active role in both city and statewide government throughout his career. He was the executive vice president of Comcast and has run three successful campaigns for Rendell.

Law School Dean Michael Fitts, who introduced Cohen, praised him as "a phenomenon, a legend and personal hero."

First year Law student Andrew Mariniello echoed this sentiment, calling Cohen a "good example to young students."

Josh Horenstein, the president of Penn Law Democrats and co-chair of Penn Law Students for Rendell, pointed to a prominent journal's praise of Cohen as "the most powerful non-elected official in Pennsylvania" as evidence to the speaker's political influence and importance.

In response to audience questions, Cohen addressed the state's brain drain dilemma.

"We don't have enough jobs that appeal to the high tech grads we're trying to keep here," Cohen explained, but added that they are working on generating "the types of jobs that would be attractive to students."

When asked about his views on the possibility of a Sam Katz versus John Street race for Philadelphia mayor in 2003, Cohen predicted a "racially divided and explosive election."

In concluding, Cohen stressed that the needs of the constituents should trump the agendas of individual politicians.

"We always need to consider what's best for the city," he said.