Students take part in a Harrison College House discussion on studying abroad in Israel over kosher Chinese food. [Allyson Mariani/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Last year, Penn aborted its study abroad program in Israel. A dinner conversation Tuesday night revealed that not everyone backs this change in University policy.

Jewish Studies Department Chairman David Stern lamented that "by closing down the programs, you're basically doing what terrorists want." Although safety is a serious and recognized concern, Stern also added, "It's possibly statistically safer in Israel than in West Philly."

Meeting over kosher Chinese takeout, Stern and students participated in Harrison College House's seminar "Studying in Israel During Times of Crisis."

Joining Stern in leading the discussion were student guests College senior Arielle Bernstein and Wharton senior Rinat Becher, who had both been studying in Israel last spring when Penn's abroad program there was suspended.

The program's suspension followed warnings from the U.S. State Department concerning the safety of Americans in Israel. The Office of International Programs at Penn extended this policy last month when it decided that the suspension of abroad programs to Israel would continue through the upcoming spring semester.

Stern explained his take on the University's decision last spring, stating, "There was an assumption among some people at Penn... that the situation was so distracting that getting an education was difficult. And that was really wrong."

Bernstein spoke from personal experiences, reiterating that she "never feared for [her] personal safety" while studying at the Be'er Sheva campus in Israel.

"Saying 'life goes on as normal' sounds defensive," Bernstein explained. "But it's really a very normal life... with heightened security, but also with a heightened appreciation of life."

Although the University suspended its program in Israel during her year there, Bernstein chose to stay through May, despite loosing the ability to transfer credits from her spring semester. She even nodded in agreement as Stern explained that the Penn administration was very helpful to its abroad students last spring.

Becher, too, commented that she did not regret going to Israel last spring despite what happened. She also said that regardless of safety concerns, the ultimate decision of whether students should go abroad to Israel should be left to students and their families.

For the seminar's attendees, this opinion seemed to be a popular one, as it was consequently reiterated throughout the conversation.

Following the meeting, Stern expressed a desire to witness more discussion about the University's Israeli study abroad policy between the Provost's office and the Penn community. Yet, he emphasized that the possibility for change lies with the students -- ultimately, students are the ones who must step forward and express an interest.