College freshman Bob Frisch receives a bracelet at the Pottruck Center last night. The bracelet entitles Frisch to tickets to M. Hoops home games after waiting on "The Line" this weekend. [Avi Berkowitz/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

For serious Penn basketball fans, the season has already started.

Last night, over 350 Penn students dashed to the Pottruck Center to stake out their spot in the first segment of "The Line."

Students congregated to receive a bracelet, which marks their spot in The Line this weekend. Those with the lowest numbered bracelets get first pick at season seats in the Palestra.

"A lot of times last year we got shut out of very good games," College junior Lauren Cavanaugh said. "We'd like to have good seats, because the whole squad is back."

Those who aspired to claim bracelets had to stand by their computers or by the phone, because the secret site was not released until a few minutes before the line was formed.

Students who found out called friends and assembled their groups of four.

"I had a friend call me and tell me that it was going on," Mark Kustner, a College senior, said. "I sprinted down here as quickly as possible."

All that the student body knew was that at some point during the week, the bracelet location would be announced on www.Pennathletics.com or via the Penn Phone. Therefore, students continuously checked both in order to secure a decent position.

Trumping all bracelets, however, are the Line Leaders. College senior Tom Buddensick and College sophomore Jon Lubin -- via an essay Penn Athletics held essay contest -- were chosen as the most devout Penn fans, and are Line Leaders for this year's Line. Buddensick and Dubin also receive first choice of seating.

"When I was a sophomore, my friends were the first in line, so they got to sit in the front row," Buddensick said. "Last year, one of my friends was a line leader and he got to sit in the front row.

"I figured this was a great way to sit in the front row and help out Penn basketball."

The Penn athletic department was pleasantly surprised by the turnout at the first segment of The Line.

Athletic Department spokeswoman Carla Shultzberg said that the final count on the number of bracelets distributed was 378.

"We thought it went really well, we're very excited with the turnout," Shultzberg said. "There is some good community sense that people want to show their spirit and support the team."

Now, each group will have to sit through the 24-hour line at the Palestra this weekend. From Friday night to Saturday evening, The Line participants must be present at all times in order to claim their tickets.

While they sit through The Line, they will be able to participate in other activities, such as a 3-on-3 basketball tournament and a community service project.

Friday night, The Line participants can watch both the men's and the women's varisty teams scrimmage in the annual Red and Blue game.

If students did not make it to the bracelet distribution last night, there is still a chance to claim season tickets.

Bracelets can be claimed at the Penn ticket office in Weightman Hall until 5 p.m. Friday afternoon.

Students can also just show up to The Line Friday evening.

"Anybody can show up to be in The Line," Shultzberg said. "We're looking forward to this weekend. We have lots of great things planned."