All doors are officially closed for Penn students interested in hearing Vice President Dick Cheney speak at the dedication of Huntsman Hall on Oct. 25, but there is a chance that Cheney will separately address a group of students when he comes to campus.

While officials previously announced that students and faculty would not be permitted to attend the Huntsman Hall event, there was hope that students could view the exclusive dedication on a live Penn simulcast. But the vice president's office has rejected this option.

"The vice president was invited to a closed event that is a tribute to his friend," Office of the Vice President spokeswoman Jennifer Miller said.

But one campus organization has its sights set on a separate address from the vice president.

College Republicans Chairman David Copley said that the group has submitted a memo to the vice president's office requesting a brief, personal address to a select group of students following the dedication. Copley said late last night that "the vice president has agreed to our request, and the scheduling office is going to try to fit it in."

However, Copley stressed that plans for any address to the group are tentative and that the group had not heard any final word on the matter.

The College Republicans have already submitted roughly 50 names of interested students to White House security officials to allow for background checks. These names were selected from a lottery of politically active Penn students, in which active Republicans were given priority.

Miller emphasized that the Huntsman Hall event would be "closed-press" and would be personally, rather than politically, oriented.

While Wharton spokeswoman Meghan Laska said she was "unsure of why [the Vice President's Office] declined the simulcast," she explained that the speech will not be a policy address, but rather will "focus on [the vice president's] relationship with Mr. Huntsman."

But Miller stressed the fact that even a short appearance might be difficult due to the constant time constraints with which the vice president contends as a result of a packed schedule.

Cheney is scheduled speak at shortly after 9 a.m. in the auditorium of Huntsman Hall next Friday.

Officials expect the tribute to last for roughly 10 minutes and revolve around Huntsman's business leadership, public service and philanthropic endeavors.

A 1959 Wharton graduate, Huntsman donated $40 million of the $140 million used to construct the building, located on 38th and Walnut streets.

Over the past 30 years, Huntsman has maintained strong Republican ties and is a close personal friend of the vice president's.

According to Laska, the guest list for the dedication will consist of Huntsman's family and friends, members of Wharton's Board of Overseers, the deans of each of the Penn schools, University Board of Trustees Chairman James Riepe and University President Judith Rodin.

Laska explained that the Huntsman auditorium accommodates less than 300 people, leaving little space for student and faculty presence at the event.

Despite Copley's own hopes that Cheney will make a subsequent address to the College Republicans, the Wharton sophomore admits that the vice president is "not doing that speech in any official capacity" and should therefore not be under any obligation to invite students and faculty to the event, or even agree to a simulcast viewing.

In addition to Cheney, Gordon Hinckley, the president for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, will speak for five minutes. Huntsman is himself a Mormon.

"Mr. Hinckley and Mr. Huntsman are good friends. He is pleased to have the opportunity to participate with Mr. Huntsman [in the dedication]" Church spokesman Dale Bills said.

Hinckley will make the opening remarks at Friday's private dedication. The Church president is scheduled to speak from 9:05 to 9:10 a.m. and will be followed by Cheney.

Both Huntsman and Hinckley have worked together for many years in the Mormon church, according to Bills. The two men know each other through the Mormon church, as well as through their interaction in Salt Lake City community service events.

Huntsman has acted as a lay leader in the Mormon church since adulthood and holds an area authority position for the church. He currently trains church leaders and works with senior church leaders in northern Utah, southern Idaho and southwestern Wyoming.

Bills described the two men's relationship as "a warm friendship."

Hinckley's visit, however, is also not without some controversy among religiously active Penn students.

"If Mr. Huntsman wants to have his faith represented, I just don't see what it has to do with the money he gave the business school," said Campus Crusade for Christ member Leanne Wilson.

But Salt Lake City native Nick Burrows, who is a member of the Christian Association's board of directors, is not surprised by Hinckley's visit at all.

Hinckley's participation "is kind of predictable, since I know Jon Huntsman is very active in the Mormon church. That's very usual, very typical when a Mormon person has a major contribution that the president of the Mormon church will come to the event," the Engineering senior said.

Muslim Student Association President Ahsen Janjua remarked that he "could understand... it's a private event -- if it was a public event, that's a different story.

Janjua further commented that he was not offended by Huntsman's choice and that the MSA had not planned to protest, as previously speculated.

MSA member Sameer Qudsi expressed another view.

"I just feel that it's better to have a religious representation at a lot of events since a lot of people are religious... but just to have a small percentage of the population represented doesn't represent properly the general population," the Engineering junior said.

Student leader for Campus Crusade for Christ Eli Moyer remarked, "It seems strange that there's a religious component at all, since we're at a secular University and it will be a secular event."

But Burrows found the decision revealing in the end.

"It really says a lot that a person like Jon Huntsman who does come from a Wharton background does have a strong sense of spirituality," Burrows concluded.

The public building dedication is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. on Oct. 25 and will be open to the entire Penn community.

Other public dedication-oriented events are also scheduled until 2:30 p.m. on Oct. 26.