In a contest that seemed more like a track meet than a soccer game, the Penn men's soccer team dispelled the notion that it is not capable of playing an up-tempo game.

Not only did the No. 24 Quakers keep up with a lightning fast Yale team, but the Red and Blue emerged with a 2-1 victory, thus maintaining their status as the only undefeated team in the Ivies.

The visiting Quakers (9-2 Ivy League, 4-0 overall) knew from the start that the Elis (8-3-1, 1-2-1) would give them a fight.

"Yale needed this game to stay in the Ivy League race," senior tri-captain Alex Maasry said. "And we needed it to solidify our spot at the top."

The Elis took the Quakers by surprise in the first half, as they came out attacking and controlling possession of the ball.

"In the first half, we were just dealing with what they were throwing at us," Penn coach Rudy Fuller said. "In the second half, we came out better, and both teams had chances."

The Elis were the first to capitalize on one of those chances when sophomore Ryan Raybould netted a goal in the 62nd minute.

The Quakers didn't waste much time in getting a goal of their own, however. Just one minute later, Penn freshman John Rhodes responded with the equalizer.

"We showed our resiliency in coming from behind," Maasry said. "This is a team with a lot of character and determination."

The Quakers proved their point when sophomore Brent Plumley found fellow sophomore Stephen Kroculick for the game-winning goal in the 73rd minute.

Though the Quakers chalked up yet another win, the Elis did not let them off the field without a battle.

"Everyone was going hard for the ball," Maasry said. "It was a very physical game. The ref was just letting the players play."

Unfortunately, the rough play led to a devastating Penn injury.

After making a tackle, freshman Justin Estrada found himself on the ground when a Yale player kicked him in the jaw. Estrada left the game with a split lip and a mild concussion.

Another Penn defender, sophomore Erik Hallenbeck, had a less bloody, but certainly more productive, game.

"Yale had fast forwards and Hallenbeck beat them," junior Matt Haefner said. "He's been playing well all year and he's one of our best defenders."

Though the Quakers have a handful of standouts, the story of the game was Penn's ability to respond to adversity -- as a team.

"We didn't really feel like we were down," Haefner said. "This is a special team. We never feel like we'll lose."