Josh Duyan, shown here against Temple, scored the winning goal for the Quakers in the 1-0 triumph on the road over Dartmouth on Saturday. [Jake Levine/DP File Photo]

Opposing teams are quickly learning that they need a different tactic to get the ball past the Penn defense.

Since opponents have scored just three goals against the Quakers in seven games, conventional strategies just won't cut it.

Dartmouth is the most recent team to learn this lesson. Last Saturday, the Quakers (6-1 overall, 2-0 Ivy League) shut out the Big Green (2-5, 1-1), 1-0.

Junior goalkeeper Matt Haefner recorded his fourth shutout, bringing his total for the season to a league-leading four.

This victory brings the Quaker's winning streak to six and is an indicator of what is to come for the remainder of the season.

Despite all of these successes, Penn coach Rudy Fuller believes that the Quakers have yet to play their best soccer.

"I don't think we've peaked yet," Fuller said. "And that's a good thing."

Saturday's game was far from a pretty game, as the two Ivy League rivals traded counterpunches throughout the 90-minute contest.

"They are a difficult team to play against," Fuller said. "They break your rhythm, they make it tough to play."

The Quakers, however, were able to keep up with the tempo of the game, and with 54:29 minutes elapsed, Penn netted the one goal it needed for the win.

Penn freshman John Rhodes lofted the ball across the penalty area to a waiting Josh Duyan, who put it into the net.

"Josh took a great touch to get it under control," Fuller said. "And on his next touch put it in the back of the net."

Though Duyan's goal would prove to be the game winner, the Big Green mounted successive rallies in the late stages of the game. Still, the Quakers were able to prevail with a big road victory.

Fuller attributes the win to the resolve and perseverance of his team.

"The guys did well to kind of stay in it," he said. "And they were relentless with their attitude, their determination."

As shown in Saturday's game, the Quakers have received a gritty effort from each of its players to lead the team out to a fast start.

"I think we have 11 guys on the field at any one point in time that are very focused on winning a game and work very hard together as a group," Fuller said.

The notion of teamwork is one that the players themselves, share. In fact, Haefner credits his miniscule 0.42 goals against average to the play of his defenders.

"It's more them than me that's doing the work right now," he said. "The few shutouts I've had are the ones where I haven't had to make many saves."

In addition to receiving a boost in the Ivy standings -- the Quakers' 2-0 record puts them in first in the Ivy League -- the Red and Blue have had a taste of victory and know the way to win in the competitive Ancient Eight.

"Getting the win on the road in the Ivy League is one of the most difficult things to do," Fuller said. "To do it against a team like Dartmouth on their field, says a lot about the character of our team right now."

The Dartmouth game also was an indicator of the competition the Quakers will face in other league games.

"There's not really a weak link in the league," Fuller said. "I foresee every Ivy League game being a very hard fought, difficult, one-goal game."

Penn will have a break from their intense Ivy League schedule this week, as they face Lehigh at home this Wednesday before facing Philadelphia University in a Philly Soccer Seven game on Saturday.