Penn History Professor Edward Carter died Tuesday of a heart attack. He was 74.

Carter, a 1954 College graduate, first arrived at Penn in the summer of 1980. He had come to Philadelphia that year to accept the prestigious position of Librarian of the American Philosophical Society.

During his time at Penn, he taught a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses on topics ranging from the politics and culture of the early American republic to the American West and California.

Carter was known by family and friends for his overwhelming generosity.

“He was incredibly generous intellectually and by nature,” Carter’s stepdaughter Sarah Treco said.

After his daughter died while attending Dennison University, Carter donated the money he had saved for her education to support other students at the school.

History Professor Michael Zuckerman said Carter demonstrated generosity in his work at Penn as well.

According to Zuckerman, Carter was the only adjunct professor to take on the responsibility of being a senior thesis advisor.

“It wasn’t to feather his nest — it was really because he liked the kids,” Zuckerman said.

“He was just the sort of person who gave himself and poured himself into the work he did with students,” he added.

In addition, Carter was respected for his innovative teaching methods.

For instance, he was the first person at Penn to teach a course about California.

In addition, Carter took students on field trips to bring course material to life. When teaching a course about the American West, the professor took his class downtown to the American Philosophical Society Library so they could hold the journals of Lewis and Clark.

“He looked like a conservative guy… but he was an amazingly innovative teacher,” Zuckerman said.

Carter was also known for his unique warmth and gentle nature.

College senior Corey Brooks, who chose Carter as his senior thesis advisor, said that Carter was loved by all of his students.

“A lot of teachers, you don’t get that warm feeling from when you walk into the classroom, but you always got that from him,” Brooks said.

“He was a very smart man but he had this nice, gentle demeanor.”

According to Brooks, Carter always seemed excited to be in the classroom.

“He was always happy to be doing what he was doing,” Brooks said.

Before coming to Penn, Carter taught at the University of Delaware, St. Steven’s School in Rome, Johns Hopkins University and Catholic University.

His most notable scholarly work was The Papers of Benjamine Henry Latrobe, for which he was the editor-in-chief.

He recently worked on a research project entitled “The Creation of the American Landscape, 1776-1890,” and was planning a celebration for the bicentennial anniversary of the Lewis and Clark expedition.

Carter is survived by his wife Louise, brother Paul and four step-daughters.

They will honor him with a small family service Tuesday and a memorial service held by the American Philosophical Society in early November.

Carter’s family suggests that contributions be made to the Edward C. Carter II Library Fellowship Fund at the American Philosophical Society.