The renovations on Rhodes Field are a work-in-progress. When finished, the facility will be able to host up to 650 soccer spectators. [Lauren Karp/DP File Photo]

Finding Rhodes Field -- home to the Penn men's and women's soccer teams -- is no easy task.

Walk across the South Street Bridge, hang a right at the fieldhouse, climb down a host of stairs, wander around an alley that runs parallel to I-76 and finally you stumble upon the soccer fields.

The location is less than inspiring.

And so, in hopes of attracting more fans and making the field more spectator-friendly, the Penn athletic department approved a plan for renovations earlier this year.

Construction on the new Rhodes Field began in late June and progress -- albeit slowly -- has been made.

The dilapidated metal bleachers have been shipped out, the obtrusive black fencing taken down and the ground torn up.

The beginnings of the elevated seating facility, which will seat 650 fans, are visible.

What remains to be seen is whether the facility will be ready for the kickoff of this year's soccer season.

Although progress is being made, completion still seems far off. Large machinery still dots the sidelines and the stands are far from finalized.

Last week, Penn athletic department spokeswoman Carla Shultzberg gave The Daily Pennsylvanian her best estimate as to when the construction would be finished.

While she was no doubt enthused about the renovations, Shultzberg admitted she did not have an exact date for the project's wrapup.

"We are excited about the new facility, and we look forward to its completion this fall," Shultzberg said.

The Penn women's soccer team is scheduled to open its home campaign on Sunday, Sept. 15 against Monmouth.

The Quakers, who captured their first-ever Ivy League championship last season, are enthusiastic about the new facility, but have worries of their own about their new home.

"It won't be completed for our first game against Monmouth," Penn women's soccer head coach Darren Ambrose said. "But it will be usable, is the phrase. They are putting in the bleachers and the brick looks about done, it's just a question of finishing the press box, etc. It's fairly close and they are working hard."

The men's head coach, Rudy Fuller, knows that the facility will not be finalized for his squad's first home game on Friday, Sept. 20, but he is pleased nonetheless.

"We fully intend on playing on Rhodes Field for all of our home games," Fuller said. "Whether it is fully completed, with the finishing touches, I'm not exactly sure when that date is."

Fuller, who believes that the new facility will draw an increased number of spectators to games, is happy that the soccer programs are finally garnering what he believes is much deserved attention.

"It really does affect the team," Fuller said. "It's a first-class facility and it shows the players that they have the support of the administration.

"That goes a long way."

Although the renovations do not include improving the condition of the actual field, the players are excited for the changes as well.

"We're all really excited," Penn sophomore forward Joe Klein said. "I think it will bring more spectators to the field."