Rob Milanese, who caught four passes for 88 yards in Saturday's win over Lafayette, is only 34 yards short of becoming Penn's all-time leader in receiving yardage. He is currently second. [Angie Louie/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

EASTON, Pa. -- Rebuilt?

More like reloaded.

With a lineup that was severely changed from last season, the Penn football team routed Lafayette, 52-21, on Saturday at Fisher Field.

Although it was an impressive offensive performance by the Quakers, it was their defense that set the game's tone early, forcing the Leopards into two three-and-outs, an interception and only eight yards on the first three offensive possessions for Lafayette.

"They definitely had some problems up front adjusting to a couple of stunts we put in during the offseason," Penn linebacker Travis Belden, who had 4.5 tackles, said. "It all kind of works in tandem -- you get pressure on the quarterback, he's not going to be able to step in and follow through.

"And then it just comes to the guys behind us making plays on the ball."

The Leopards (2-1) continued to struggle all day, as leading rusher Joe McCourt gained only 47 yards on 18 carries, and quarterback Marko Glavic was intercepted two more times. For the game, the Leopards rushing attack gained only 60 yards on the ground.

"I don't know if you can ask more of a young [defensive] line," Belden said. "Those guys up front, they stepped up, and they showed me something."

After punting on their first drive, the Quakers scored on a seven-play, 64-yard drive that ended with Stephen Faulk's first career rushing touchdown, from four yards out.

Then came the first of two interceptions by Kevin Stefanski. He returned this one 17 yards to the Lafayette 12, and Faulk scored on a run one play later.

"We thought that as a defense, and as a secondary, we could come out and do well," Stefanski said. "When you're on defense, we need to give the offense the ball back."

The Quakers did one better in the second quarter, when Fred Plaza stepped in front of a duck thrown by Glavic and returned it 19 yards for a score, making it 38-7. The play before, wide receiver Rob Milanese fumbled on the five after a 52-yard reception.

"I thought we did a real job creating turnovers," Penn coach Al Bagnoli said. "I thought they were pretty physical right from the get-go. We made the plays when we had to."

The only breakdown by the Red and Blue defense was in the first quarter, when Glavic tossed a 66-yard touchdown to Jeremy Burkes. The play came after a Penn unsportsmanlike penalty extended a Leopards' drive.

The Penn offense, with a new starting quarterback and running back, gelled almost immediately. Faulk had three touchdowns, all in the first quarter, and rushed for 97 yards in his first game on offense. He played in the defensive secondary last season.

"This has been a long road," Faulk said. "This isn't something that happened yesterday... today is a start. It's been a lot of hard work, and there's a lot of hard work left to do."

Mike Mitchell was equally effective at quarterback, throwing for 238 yards and a score on 16 of 29 passing.

Bagnoli pulled out a play from his bag of tricks in the second quarter.

Mitchell lateraled to wide receiver Joe Phillips, who found Eric Bolinder wide open for a 32-yard touchdown.

Part of the Quakers' success was the strong protection Mitchell had. The offensive line didn't allow a sack, and Mitchell wasn't hurried all game.

"With the offensive line playing the way they did today," Mitchell said. "It made it pretty easy for myself and the rest of those guys."

38-7 at half. 52-21 final. Pretty easy, indeed.