With less than two weeks practice, the Penn women's cross country team will be flung into its first meet of the season.

"We really just started last week," Penn head coach Gwen Harris said. "We're freshmen -- all of us."

The lack of practice is the least of the Quakers concerns at this point.

The word of the season for the Red and Blue will be readjustment.

In addition to a host of freshmen runners, the Quakers most noticeable recruits from the summer are on the coaching staff.

Harris became the head women's track and cross country coach in early August. After spending 17 years at JMU, Harris was seeking a new challenge.

She found exactly that at Penn where recruitment is particularly challenging without the possibility of scholarships.

The Quakers also welcome Stephen Walsh, who will work primarily with both the men's and women's distance runners.

The women's cross country team is still adapting to the new coaching styles, having only worked with Harris and Walsh for a few short weeks.

The team's main goal for the season is to work together, adapt to the changes and improve on last year's standings.

"Everything is brand-new," Harris said. "The team is really responsive. I think it's going to work.

"But this is new for all of us."

The Red and Blue's main focus at this point is to work as a team at each meet, helping each other with pace and motivation.

Team building is stressed largely due to the loss of seniors, but also because there are a significant number of freshmen and a completely new coaching staff.

"They are working as a group on communication," Harris said. "All of the upperclassmen are trying to work together and keep everyone together."

A crucial returner for this season will be junior Abbi Gleeson.

After placing 14th at the Heptagonal Championships, Gleeson garnered second-team All-Ivy honors after last year's cross country season.

Gleeson was also the top finisher in all five cross country in which Penn competed.

At the Leopard Invitational last season, Gleeson tied for first place.

Claire Duncan and Kristen Koch will also be crucial returners this season.

"They all have different things that they bring to the team," Harris said. "That makes a team gel more together. I think it will really help everyone be a good group of runners, together."

The Quakers kick off the fall season this weekend at the Fordham Invitational at Van Cortlandt Park in Manhattan.

Season Preview Home Course: Blemont Plateau Last year: 8th at Heptagonal Champ. Starters lost: Sam Desposito Starters returning: Abbi Gleeson, Kristen Koch, Claire Duncan, Erin Okawa, Karina Swette. Key Meets: at La Salle Invite: Abbi Gleeson will look to defend her title in this year's field. at Heps: Always the Quakers' most important meet of the season. Player to Watch

Abbi Gleeson

Gleeson was 14th at Heptagonal Championships and won the La Salle invitational with the third fastest women's college time in Belmont Plateau history. She was second team All-Ivy.