William Lee has started one game this season for the 1-1 Penn men's soccer team, which hosts La Salle today. [Stefan Miltchev/DP File Photo]

Today, the reigning champion Penn men's soccer team begins its quest to capture a second Philadelphia Soccer 7 title in as many years.

The Quakers start by hosting La Salle today in their home opener, before facing Drexel on Sunday.

Both of these teams are part of the Philadelphia Soccer 7, so the games are crucial if the Quakers intend to compete for another title.

"Philadelphia Soccer 7 games are always must-wins," junior tri-captain Robb Jankura said. "Everyone's also excited to play on our new field."

Rhodes Field should be a factor in this weekend's games. The seating areas fully renovated, it now boasts stadium seating for up to 650 rowdy Penn fans.

"Playing on our home field really makes a difference," senior tri-captain Nathan Kennedy said. "It is really a boost for us."

However, even with 650 Penn loyalists, the Quakers know thatLa Salle and Drexel won't be pushovers.

On paper, the Explorers are not particularly intimidating. They are a team that has not had a record over .500 for the past three years.

And given their 1-3-1 start, it doesn't look like this will be their lucky year.

But the Quakers know the dangers of underestimating their opposition.

"Sometimes it's harder to get up for a game against a weaker opponent," Kennedy said. "We have to be focused for all of our games."

Coach Rudy Fuller felt that La Salle's record isn't indicative of its capabilities.

"La Salle is stronger than last year and they have a very good goaltender," Fuller said. "They are very hardworking and don't give you an inch."

Despite Fuller's kind words for La Salle, it is clear that the Explorers are a weaker team than Drexel.

After losing their first game, the Dragons are on a four-game winning streak.

Most impressive is their 2-0 victory over Fairleigh Dickinson, a team that Penn squeaked by, 1-0, last weekend.

The Quakers are impressed with Drexel's season so far, but they are far from intimidated.

"This is the best Drexel team I've seen in my time at Penn," Fuller said. "But the fact that we beat [Fairleigh Dickinson] 1-0 and they beat them 2-0 means nothing."

The Dragons also boast the current Soccer 7 player of the week, senior Pete Pittaoulis. The 5-foot-11 forward is on an offensive tear, having scored seven points in Drexel's first five games.

Another possible obstacle for the Quakers could be their current status as Philadelphia Soccer 7 champions.

"We are now the team to beat," Fuller said. "It is tougher being the guy with the bullseye on his chest."

With the aforementioned challenges facing them, the Quakers plan to respond with more offensive production.

Though they played stellar defense in their first two games, the Red and Blue were only able to score one goal.

The Quakers believe that this weekend their offense will be more potent.

"I expect us to score more goals," Fuller said. "It takes time to get sharp in the attack."