In 2001, linebacker Travis Belden became the first two-time recipient of Penn's George A. Munger Award as the team's most valuable defensive player.

So is a third consecutive trophy what is motivating him through a muggy, interminable preseason?

"No, shoot. I've got that locked up right now," jokes Belden, drawing a laugh from fellow linebacker Steve Lhotak.

Yet, it is anything but a dismissive laugh. If anyone on this Quakers team can pry the award from Belden, it might be Lhotak -- the team's leading tackler last year.

But Belden is the physical and emotional leader of the defensive unit. The senior from Fishers, Ind., is a newly-installed captain, one of four on the Red and Blue.

He is looking forward to dominating offenses with Lhotak, a native of Allendale, N.J., and graduate of football-rich Bergen Catholic High School in Oradell, N.J.

Lhotak is a senior, but is receiving his first shot at a starting role in 2002. While this represents a slight change in the lineup, the linebacking position remains perhaps the most stable on the team.

Penn lost a tremendous amount of talent and players to graduation last year, including its star quarterback, running back and a host of defensive linemen.

Yet Belden and Lhotak return, as do seniors Chris Pennington and Andrew Altman, who function as linebacker/defensive end utilitymen.

"I know I wouldn't trade this linebacking corps for any other in the league," Penn head coach Al Bagnoli said.

This season, Belden will look to cap one of Penn's top defensive careers in recent memory.

There is still something that this two-time Ivy League champion has never accomplished. He says he does not pay much attention to statistics, but he'd be bitterly disappointed if he can't get on the board in one particular category.

"I just want to score a touchdown," Belden said. "That's the only thing I've ever wanted to do in my career in college.

"I don't really care how or what, but that's the only thing I really care about in terms of numbers."

A touchdown is not at the top of Lhotak's list -- he chooses not to invest time in setting numerical benchmarks.

"I just play game to game," he said. "As long as I'm satisfied with the way I played, that's what is important."

That doesn't mean he would not have good reason to study his stats periodically. His 47 tackles last year were a career high, and his 4.5 sacks ranked him third on the team and fourth in the league.

He also demonstrated a flair for the dramatic, putting forth his best effort of the year in the biggest game of the year at Harvard on Nov. 10. He registered a career and team-best 10 tackles on that otherwise disappointing afternoon in Boston.

While the Quakers' opening game at Lafayette on Saturday will reveal many of this new-look team's strengths and weaknesses, Bagnoli can at least be confident in each of his linebackers.

"On defense, I think the linebackers are our strength," he said. "When you talk about the inside and the outside kids, three of the four are all-league with Lhotak, Belden and Pennington.

"They bring experience, size and playmaking ability."

And with the dramatic roster turnover, all three will likely be needed from these veterans.

As for the playmaking ability, this might then be the ideal time for Belden to achieve his dream of racing into the end zone.