As only the second Penn women's track coach, Gwen Harris will have big shoes to fill. Betty Costanza retired in January after 25 years of coaching. [Lauren Karp/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

After over 25 years of dedication, Betty Costanza shocked the Penn track community by stepping down from her position as the women's head coach in early January.

The Penn women's track team, as well as many of Costanza's colleagues were unprepared and startled by her abrupt announcement.

Although assistant coach Tony Tenisci stepped up and lead the squad to a solid season, the team was without its leader.

In an eerily similar situation, the athletes on James Madison University's women's track team will find themselves without their venerable leader this upcoming fall season.

Gwen Harris, who led the Dukes for 17 consecutive seasons, decided to leave her post in Virginia and take over a young Penn squad over the summer.

Many of her athletes were startled by her decision. One, Harris explained, chatted with her as Harris packed up her office at James Madison.

"She kept telling me that I could keep packing, but that if I left the room she would unpack it all," Harris said.

Harris becomes only the second head coach in Penn's history. Costanza was not only the first coach, but also one of the founders of the women's track program.

After much debate, Harris decided to take the new job in Philadelphia for not just one, but many reasons.

A wiry and enthusiastic conversationalist, Harris explained that she was looking for a challenge.

Because the Ivy League does not offer athletic scholarships, but it still competes against some of the top Division I teams in the nation, Harris has given herself a reasonable challenge.

"When you get to a certain point in your profession, you want a challenge," Harris said. "And hopefully the challenge that you take will be one that you can conquer."

What excites Harris most about the Ivy League -- and its lack of athletic scholarships -- is the desire of the athletes.

"Everyone is here because they want to be," Harris said. "People are excited about being here."

Harris, who is originally from Delaware, is also pleased to return home and be near her extended family.

Growing up in the area, Harris had the opportunity to run in the Penn Relays, which she describes as one of her favorite events. Harris is ecstatic to play host come spring to the top squads in the nation.

Since moving to Philadelphia in early July, Harris has been so overwhelmed by work that she has had little time to miss JMU. However, the toughest part of Harris' job has yet to begin.

"I'm just starting to meet [Penn's] team," Harris said. "A few of them have come in and introduced themselves."

Harris plans to spend the upcoming weeks getting to know the members of the squad and formulating individual workouts for each athlete.

"The key is to nurture all the athletes to their success levels," Harris. "I want us to have fun, make improvements and move up. Communication and partnership are the keys to achieving what you set out to achieve."