A sign on the door of Koch's Deli reads "Dear Friends, Due to the death of my Mother Frances Koch, the founder of the deli, and injuries I sustained in an automobile accident, we will be closed until after Labor Day in September.[Ben Rosenau/The Summer

For awhile, loyal customers and friends of Koch's Deli will had to go elsewhere to buy hearty sandwiches and other delicatessen foods.

Around the end of the spring semester, Koch's Deli owner Bob Koch had to close his store for over three months due to physical and emotional setbacks.

In April, Koch was in a severe accident during which he was broadsided in his car on 48th and Walnut streets. Due to injuries, he had to spend three weeks in the hospital.

"My car was totalled and I had a fractured left leg, an arm shattered in eight places, a scapula fractured and heavily bruised ribs," Koch said.

Physically, Koch was in bad condition, but the worst was yet to come.

On June 8, Frances Koch -- Koch's mother and the deli's co-founder and owner -- passed away due to heart failure.

"Emotionally, the loss of my mother is very hard," Koch said. "Physically, I know I am a very strong person and I know I can overcome the broken bones. Broken bones heal faster than a broken heart."

Koch's Deli, which is located at 4309 Locust Street, was established in 1966 by Sidney and Frances Koch, Bob Koch's parents. Since its opening, the deli has become a fixture in the West Philadelphia and Penn community.

Because Koch's Deli has such a faithful basis of customers, Koch is not worried about the fact that the business has been closed since May 16.

"In the beginning, I might lose some customers, but when I reopen and they find out, I know they'll be back," Koch said. "People have even moved back to the neighborhood in order to be closer to [the deli]."

Frances Koch's death and Bob Koch's accident have not only affected their immediate family, but also the Koch's extended family -- his customers.

"It's a shame that the deli had to close for the summer, and I sorely missed it just for the one month of the summer I was around," College senior Corey Brooks said. "[The] deli is the best in Philadelphia and my favorite place to eat in University City."

Koch has received an overwhelming amount of support from his friends and loyal customers. Over 1,500 people have taken the time to write get well and sympathy cards, which is indicative of the deli's and the Koch family's popularity.

Koch's recovery period has given him the time to give back to those who have given to him.

"Anybody who takes the time to send a card will get a personal reply," Koch commented.

Koch said that he has received notes from people who live as far away as California. People in the neighborhood have simply stopped by to write brief notes on the sign posted on the deli door that explains why the store is closed.

While the temporary loss of the deli is felt by its fans, the presence of the Koch family is missed even more.

One note reads, "Bob and Family, Thinking of you all during this time. Your presence is missed in the community. Take care of both your physical and mental health," signed "Rebecca, UPenn."

Koch said that he is more than appreciative of everyone's sympathy and encouragement.

"I sincerely thank everybody for all the kindness and their good wishes," Koch said.

Koch -- who has undergone a lot of physical therapy -- has already progressed from a wheelchair to walking with a cane. Although his leg brace and arm sling have been removed, he will never have full range of motion in his left arm.

Koch thinks he will be done with physical therapy by August and hopes to reopen the deli on the first Thursday after Labor Day -- right in time for the beginning of a new school year.

"I am sure everybody hopes they can get they can get the deli up and running as soon as possible," Brooks said.