Theodore Schweitz/SP File Photo

The spring sports All-Ivy Academic honors were released yesterday.

The Ivy League selected ten Penn spring-sport student-athletes to the list. The Quakers selected were key players on their respective teams who also maintained a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better.

Each Ivy league institution was responsible for nominating five men and women from its eligible student-athletes.

The five Penn males that were honored were Scott Marimow, Fanda Stejskal, Nick Italiano, Chad Perman and Brian Chaput.

Marimow is a senior co-captain on the Penn men's lacrosse team. A finance concentration in Wharton, Marimow was also first team All-Ivy earlier this spring.

Stejskal, also a senior, represented the Penn men's tennis squad. Stejskal, an economics major, was named All-Ivy three years in a row. This spring season, Stejskal was 5-2 in Ivy play at No. 1 singles.

Junior Italiano was the lone bright start on a struggling Penn baseball team this spring season. Italiano, also a finance concentration, was named to the first-team All-Ivy squad for his play at second base. Italiano led the Quakers in home runs and RBIs.

Fellow third-year Chad Perman, of the Penn men's golf team, finished ninth at the Ivy League Golf championships. He is a history major.

The Penn men's track team is represented by sophomore Brian Chaput, a communications major.

Chaput will compete at the NCAA championships this week in the javelin after winning both the Outdoor Heptagonal championships and the IC4A championships.

Sarah-Jane Irwin, Julie Siebert-Johnson, Stacy Kress, Nicole Borgstadt and Alice Pirsu were Penn's female representatives to the All-Ivy team.

Irwin, a junior from Norwich, Conn., has been a member of the varsity eight crew for two years. A biology major, Irwin competed at the US National Team camp in the summer of 2001.

Siebert-Johnson is a junior on the Penn women's track team. She won her division in the javelin throw at the 2002 Penn Relays and finished second at the Outdoor Heptagonal championships.

Junior Stacy Kress, a health and societies major, led the Penn women's golf team through the 2002 season. She finished 19th at the 2002 Ivy League championships.

Sophomore Nicole Borgstadt of the Penn softball team was named honorable mention All-Ivy league after recording 70 strikeouts in the 2002 season. She is a business and public policy major from Lenexa, Kan.

Lastly, Alice Pirsu, named Ivy League Women's Tennis Player of the Year, was named to the All-Academic team as well. The communications major finished in the top 16 in the nation at the 2002 NCAA Singles championship.