Police officers monitor the crowd in the Quadrangle on the Junior Balcony. Penn Police maintained a strong presence throughout Spring Fling. [Caroline New/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Students, for the most part, followed the rules at Spring Fling this year, as Penn Police have reported few serious incidents over the weekend.

The total number of incidents this year was similar to last year, but while the number of alcohol citations went down, the number of arrests for other offenses went up.

"My personal observation is that things went very well. Students participating in Fling were very cooperative," University Police Chief Tom Rambo said. "The vast majority of people enjoyed Fling, followed the rules and had a good time. I was happy to see what went on in general."

Liquor Control Enforcement issued only 11 citations for underage drinking between Thursday and Saturday nights, which was down from last year's 19 citations.

In all, though, Penn Police arrested 10 people between Thursday and Saturday evenings for disorderly conduct of varying degrees. Only two arrests were made last year for fighting, although a total of five students were sent to the hospital due to fighting or alcohol-related injuries.

On Friday evening, police arrested one male University student, College senior Ryan Sigafoos, and his guest, Justin Gabergian, both 22, for aggravated assault inflicted upon several other students outside on the 4000 block of Sansom Street.

Sigafoos and Gabergian were unable to be reached for comment last night.

One student reportedly suffered extensive facial injuries, including having several teeth knocked out, and was taken by police to Presbyterian Medical Center, located at 39 Market Street, for treatment.

But the bulk of student arrests and citations occurred outside 3930 Spruce Street in two separate incidents on Thursday and Saturday nights.

At 5:34 p.m. on Thursday evening, police arrested six students for reckless endangerment when the students allegedly threw a bottle onto Spruce Street causing an accident between two vehicles.

According to a witness, the students were standing on the porch of the residence drinking beer prior to throwing their empty bottles into the street. The witness also said at least one of the students engaged in a verbal exchange with one of the people involved in the accident.

Police also removed beer from the house.

And on Saturday evening, police arrived outside the residence to separate a fight between College junior Justin King and Wharton freshman Michael Recchiuti.

According to police, after the two students resisted officers' attempts to quell the situation and refused to cooperate, they were both cited with disorderly conduct and released.

Students were also cited on Saturday evening at the same residence, again for throwing bottles.

Police began closing off-campus parties slightly after midnight this year as the streets became crowded and students congregated outside the houses. According to Rambo, most parties were not necessarily closed down. Rather, people were directed to go inside or move elsewhere.

"The parties were closed when it looked like there might be some hazardous conditions -- when people spilled out on the sidewalk or congregated on the street," Rambo said. "They were not necessarily closed down. People hanging outside were directed to go inside or move on.

"We didn't have to [break up parties] like we have in the past," Rambo added.

At Thursday night's Baltimore Avenue block party held on the 3900 block of Baltimore, for example, Penn Police monitored the crowds of students, but did not disrupt any parties on that block until shortly before 1 a.m., when police vehicles travelled up the street asking students to clear the area. Police then blocked the entrance to Baltimore Avenue near 40th Street.

But students had a different sentiment. Many said the cops came much earlier than usual and that they would not tolerate any gatherings outside.

College senior Marissa Kase said she held an impromptu party at her house on the 200 block of 42nd and 41st streets. The fewer than 10 people gathered on her porch were asked by police officers to leave slightly before midnight.

In addition, there were several minor thefts over the weekend and one case of vandalism in which a car was damaged by a bottle, but no reported robberies.

"People were very good this Spring Fling," Rambo said. "I was very happy to see that people were very good, that they were enjoying themselves, and that the vast majority were lawful participants in a great event."