With the May 21 gubernatorial primaries fast approaching, the contest between Democratic candidates Bob Casey and Ed Rendell remains tight. Meanwhile, Republican Mike Fisher faces no opposition within his party.

As the candidates head into the final two-month stretch, Auditor General Casey and Attorney General Fisher have both endorsed candidates for lieutenant governor -- even though candidates for lieutenant governor run separately from gubernatorial candidates in the primaries.

Former Philadelphia Mayor Rendell is the only main-party candidate who has not endorsed, and has no plans to endorse, a running mate.

"We're focused on winning our race and not someone else's," Rendell spokesman Dan Fee said. "Casey will be focused on winning two races, not just one."

Casey endorsed state Senator Jack Wagner, D-Pittsburgh, as his running mate on March 12.

"I wanted someone who could immediately take over as governor," Casey said at the press conference announcing his decision. "I need a running mate who would earn the trust of the people both in the primary and in the general election and who could help us win in November."

Fisher has been supporting state Senator Jane Earll, R-Erie, since January, when he asked her to run. Earll is the only Republican vying for the position and, if elected, would be the state's first female lieutenant governor.

Rendell continues to maintain a slight advantage in the race for governor, according to recent polls. A March 24 poll conducted by The Allentown Morning Call reported that Rendell leads Casey by four percentage points. However, according to the report, the slight advantage remains within the margin of error. Rendell showed 39 percent support among those polled and Casey held 35. Other recent polls have shown similar results.

"What the polls show is that the more people get to know Ed, the more they like him," Fee said. "We've seen a dramatic increase in support in the last two months for two reasons. One, Ed is out there talking to real voters and two, Ed is talking to real voters about real issues."

According to Penn Political Science Professor Henry Teune, the close race between Casey and Rendell is evidence of the division in ideology among Pennsylvania Democrats.

Casey is "a 1930s, old-fashioned Roosevelt Democrat of labor unions. Rendell is more of a new, Clinton-type Democrat. It's a classic war for the soul of the Democratic party," Teune said.

Despite the current heated contest, the State Democratic Party remains confident that either candidate will be able to defeat Fisher in November's general election.

"Both are running strong aggressive campaigns," State Democratic Party spokeswoman Mia DeZane said. "Voters are more familiar with their names and faces, and they're better candidates" than Fisher.

As the only Republican candidate for the governor's mansion, Fisher has been able to avoid contention within the Republican party.

"The Democrats right now are partaking in the biggest bidding war this state has seen to become the next governor and we're more than happy to let them do that," said Dan Hawyard, state Republican party deputy political director. "We can save our resources and shape and build our message. They will be throwing mud and punches."

According to Penn Political Science Department Chairman Jack Nagel, Fisher's lack of opposition will have both advantages and disadvantages

"On the positive side, he can store up his war chest and use resources, but on the negative side, he hasn't been in the news as much which gives one name recognition. It is evident the democrats have a head start in that," Nagel said.

Once the Democratic Primary is over, the winner will be focusing his efforts on getting to the governor's mansion in November, a race which will likely prove equally tight.

"In the general election it will be Republicans versus Democrats," Teune said. "This is a two-party state that's up for grabs. Conventional wisdom says it's the Democrats turn at the governor's level, but there is no division in the Republican party which is a real advantage. It's a war with both parties looking like they have a chance."