InterFraternity Council President Conor Daly wants to eliminate "high risk and illegal" activities on campus.

He would like to see the University crack down on organizations that "maintain off-campus houses" and "hold alcoholic rush events."

But he's not talking about reforms he plans for IFC fraternities. Rather, he is justifying his request that the University abolish so-called "pseudo-Greek" organizations -- Tabard, the Owl Society and Theo.

And if you see the irony in that, you are not alone.

Over the last 10 years, Greek organizations have been found in violation of the University's alcohol and drug policy or rush policies on no fewer than 20 occasions.

Some of these, including last year's investigation of the Zeta Beta Tau fraternity and a 1999 incident involving Sigma Alpha Mu, involve the violation of dry rush regulations, as Daly accuses the non-Greek groups of routinely doing.

Other instances, including the 1999 death of Michael Tobin, a 1994 College graduate, at a Phi Gamma Delta party, a near-fatal instance of alcohol poisoning of a freshman at an Alpha Epsilon Pi party in 1998, the 1997 incident in which three Zeta Psi brothers allegedly attempted to set fire to the Tabard house, a 1991 incident of attempted rape at ZBT and the infamous 1990 kidnapping of a Delta Psi brother by Castle brothers, would clearly fall into the "high risk and illegal" activities category that Daly uses.

Nor is it clear that this sort of activity is no longer evident in Greek houses. In 2001 alone, three organizations were cited for violations of Penn's alcohol policy, and this year, according to Office of Student Conduct Director Michelle Goldfarb, both the Sigma Delta Tau sorority and the Alpha Chi Rho fraternity are under investigation for what appear to be alcohol-related incidents.

Perhaps Daly should focus on his own houses before turning his attention to those outside of his purview. Though there appear to be far fewer instances of dangerous and illegal activity amongst fraternities and sororities today than there were a decade ago, Greek organizations have a way to go before they can take the moral high ground in denouncing others.

Unsafe and illegal activities, including hazing, happen all across the University -- in fraternities and sororities, "pseudo-Greek" organizations, honor societies and sports teams.

Daly's remarks are nothing more than a blatant attempt to scapegoat others while Greek houses face scrutiny for similar violations. It is an unfortunate and completely transparent attempt to pass the buck.

Before Daly asks the University to eliminate other organizations for infractions similar to those which Greeks stand accused and have been found guilty of in the recent past, perhaps he should have the Provost's Office investigate his own groups.

After all, it is only fair.