This weekend, the Penn community will join together to celebrate Greek life on campus through a series of student-run events and community service projects.

The annual program, which Panhellenic Council President Alison Ng described as "a celebration of all the different aspects of Greek life," will include a number of Greek-sponsored activities, ranging from a barbecue to building houses in West Philadelphia.

The program will kick off this evening at W.E.B. DuBois College House with Greek 101, an informational session about the Bicultural InterGreek Council, the umbrella organization for Penn's historically African-American, Asian-American and Latino fraternities and sororities.

BIG-C President Tia Rideout, a College senior, said that the forum, a first-time event, will give the Penn community a chance to see what Greek life is all about and to "dispel some of the myths" about Greek organizations.

On Friday afternoon, the InterFraternity Council will host a barbecue on Hamilton Field, followed by Panhel's powder puff football game. Greeks will also join forces with the Jewish Heritage Program on Friday evening to co-sponsor a campus-wide Shabbat celebration. Over 1,600 students are expected to participate in the dinners, which will be hosted at over twenty fraternity and sorority houses, as well as in Penn's College Houses.

On Saturday, members of the IFC, Panhel and the BIG-C will collaborate on the annual campus-wide community service project.

This year's project will be held in conjunction with UC Green and Rebuilding Together, two of Penn's community service organizations that work to improve environmental and housing conditions in West Philadelphia.

According to Panhel Community Service Chairwoman Sarah Lux, over 400 students plan to participate, an increase from last year's numbers. Students will work at various locations in West Philadelphia, building houses and planting trees.

"We really want to build better relations with the community," said Ng, a Wharton junior.

On Saturday night, Greeks will host a "Midnight Madness" coffeehouse featuring performances by several bands and performing arts groups. Proceeds from the event will be donated to the Rena Rowan Breast Cancer Center and the Penn Cancer Center's testicular cancer program.

IFC President Conor Daly, who joined Ng and Rideout as well as other Greek leaders in planning this year's Greek weekend, described it as a "time to put on these events and do our best to promote... a sense of unity."

Rideout agreed, saying that she hopes the weekend will "get all the three umbrella organizations together... and bond as Greek leaders."

"There's seldom a chance that people from different houses... can all get together... because it's a very factional environment," Daly added.

Daly said that the collaboration in planning Greek weekend represents a larger trend toward increased cooperation among the three umbrella organizations. In comparison to past years, this year's weekend is "more of a system-wide effort," he said.

Ng also spoke of the closer relationship.

"There's been a lot more collaboration with the IFC and the BIG-C," she said. "The three umbrella organizations have a really great relationship this year."

Panhel Greek Weekend Chairwoman Jessica Binder said that while in past years Greek weekend has focused on Panhel events, this year there is a more balanced level of involvement and more interaction among the Greek organizations.

Daly said that although the weekend is hosted by fraternity and sorority members, all events are open to non-Greek students as well.

"We're always happy to have more people," Daly said.

Panhel Executive Vice President Janet Temko added that faculty members are also invited to participate in Greek Weekend, making the celebration a "University-wide" event.

Rideout stressed that the weekend will provide the BIG-C with an opportunity to increase its presence on campus.

"I hope the Penn community comes out and supports [us]," she said.