College sophomore Ariella Hochsztein, right, and College junior Nadine Spitalnick look at self-portraits at Purim Palooza, a carnival held in honor of the Jewish holiday, which took place at Houston Hall. [Avi Berkowitz/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Penn's Jewish community kicked off its celebration of Purim Friday with clowns, games and, yes, hamentashen.

The event, called Purim Palooza, took place in Houston Hall and resembled a grade-school carnival, equipped with the traditional holiday pastry.

Purim is the Jewish holiday celebrating the story of Mordechai and Esther, who saved the Jews from persecution in Persia 2,000 years ago.

The holiday is celebrated with a public reading of the Book of Esther. Jews traditionally dress up in costumes and give gift packages to family and friends.

College sophomore Jordana Kafka, a member of Hillel's Jewish Education Committee and co-chairman of the event, said she thought students would enjoy the simplistic fun that the event provided.

"We thought the big kids would like what the little kids like," she said.

Apparently, she was right. A hoard of students turned out to enjoy the fun.

Clowns juggled bowling pins and handed out balloons. Students decorated masks and played games. Some bought pre-packaged gift bags for friends.

Engineering sophomore Uri Pasternak ran the goldfish booth. He said the game and the event were successful.

"We've had enough people interested in winning goldfish so they won't all die first," Pasternak said.

College senior Maya Imberg stumbled upon the Purim Palooza by accident. Nonetheless, she gave the event great reviews.

"It really brings about good energy," Imberg said.

In addition to fun and games, the Purim Palooza also encouraged students to learn more about Purim. Volunteers handed out flyers and "Purim Notes" explaining the story behind the holiday.

Engineering sophomore Ramez Haddadin attended the event despite the fact that he is not Jewish. He said he appreciated the opportunity to learn about what the holiday means to his Jewish friends.

"It's a big part of their life, and you can understand them more by learning about it," he said.

Gift giving is one of the most important elements of the holiday. In honor of this tradition, several booths were dedicated to charity.

Wharton senior Marisa Tuchinsky is the chairwoman of a Hillel charity committee. She headed a table that sold gift-cards to students to raise money for the Mitzvah Food Pantry. This local charity gives food to the hungry.

"It's a great chance for people to get involved and do good things for the community," Tuchinsky said.

Purim officially begins tonight, with Jews gathering to read the Megillah, the book of Esther.