Gov. Mark Schweiker delivered his "first and final Budget Address" in a joint session of the State House and Senate yesterday.

With his $45.6 billion budget, Schweiker outlined plans to prevent any tax rate increases this year, increase state security and to help the state's -- and especially Philadelphia's -- public schools.

Schweiker discussed the historic agreement between himself and Philadelphia Mayor John Street which resulted in the creation of the School Reform Commission to take control of the city's debt-ridden schools. Schweiker requested that the assembly approve an additional $75 million to be used specifically for Philadelphia's troubled school district.

Schweiker's budget would also allot $9 billion for education across the state and the creation of "Empowerment Schools," which would be modeled after the Empowerment Districts created during Ridge's administration. Through this program, the state will identify the schools where over half of the students are failing reading and math and will provide additional assistance and resources.

"There are 50 such schools across the state, in cities like Pittsburgh, Reading and Erie," Schweiker said. "It will bring us closer to meeting our president's national goal of leaving no child behind."

Schweiker opened his speech by revisiting the morning of Sept. 11, the events of which resulted in his taking over the governor's office. The state's former governor, Tom Ridge, was appointed by President Bush to the newly created Office of Homeland Security in the weeks following the attacks.

"I stand before you today as the only governor in America who holds this office as a direct result of Sept. 11," the governor said yesterday. "And this budget I present to you today is in a large measure an outcome of that fateful day."

In response to security issues raised by the terrorist attacks, Schweiker's first statement was the announcement of Earl Freilino as the new statewide director of security, a new position Schweiker created after the first-ever meeting of Pennsylvania's Security Council.

Currently an FBI terrorism task force leader, Freilino will be responsible for administering Schweiker's newest state security proposals, which include training a second urban search and rescue team and setting up a State Infrastructure Protection Center.

"On my inauguration day, I... said that my highest priority would be the safety and security of Pennsylvanians. It must remain so," Schweiker said.

Another issue stemming, at least in part, from Sept. 11 is the nation's and the state's troubled economy. However, the governor was optimistic in his response to the current recession.

"What a difference between the Pennsylvania of the last recession, 10 years ago, and the recession of today," he said, emphasizing that if his budget plan is adopted, it would mark the first time since 1943 that taxes would not be raised during a recession.

In order to prevent a tax increase for Pennsylvania's citizens, Schweiker plans to use money from The Rainy Day Fund, which was created in 1985 and required the administration to deposit 10 percent of any year-end surplus into a savings account. During Ridge's administration, the percentage was increased to 15. Now, with over $1 billion set aside, Schweiker hopes to not only prevent tax increases, but to even get tax cuts for some families under his proposed budget.

"Half of [the $1 billion fund] was the direct result of our extra savings," the governor said. "And that's the amount we ought to withdraw for this rainy day."