On Monday, the nation observed the birthday of the late Martin Luther King Jr. The civil rights crusader would have turned 73 in 2002.

And for only the second time in University history, Penn marked the occasion by not holding classes, instead offering up a variety of activities celebrating King's life of legacy.

Through teach-ins, opportunities for community service, lectures and a candlelight vigil, the University and the MLK Executive Planning Committee endeavored to further King's work and advocate for the causes he held dear, as well as to remember the man himself.

These are fitting tributes to the principles of social justice and racial equality to which King dedicated his life and for which he heroically sacrificed.

Monday's events, those that were held last week and those that will be held during the course of the next week and a half in memory of King deserve praise, and we commend the University and the MLK committe for their efforts.

But events such as this week's only work if there is participation from the community. We are pleased to see that a large number of students and community members did participate in Monday's observance. Indeed, attendance was better than expected.

When University President Judith Rodin decided to close the University on Martin Luther King Day almost two years ago, it was hoped that students would use their free time to participate in the planned day of service.

It was to be, as the committee called it, a "day on" rather than a day off.

Still, Martin Luther King Day appeals to far too many students as simply a day off, used to catch up on schoolwork or to sleep late.

It is our hope that during the remainder of this week and next members of the University community will make an effort to participate in the multitude of events in honor of King on campus and in Philadelphia.