Over three hundred women gathered in Meyerson Hall Sunday night to take part in the Panhellenic Council's "Circle of Sisters" ceremony, which marked the official induction of Panhel's 2002 Executive Board.

The event, which all new sorority members were required to attend, began with an address from outgoing Executive Vice President Carrie Reilly.

"You are the future of the Panhellenic organization," she said to new members, noting that the Greek system is the largest organization on campus.

Reilly thanked outgoing Panhel President Kristen Buppert and credited her with transforming the Panhellenic system into a community of Greeks at Penn.

Buppert, a College senior and Alpha Chi Omega sister, also spoke at the event, describing the sorority experience as "being a member of a family and also having sisters."

"Panhellenic... relies on the participation of all of its members," Buppert said. "When one of us individually shines, so does the whole community."

Members of the 2001 Executive Board then officially passed down their titles, handing their successors various objects -- including a candle, a light bulb and a gavel -- as symbols of their respective positions.

As each board member was inaugurated, new sisters stood and applauded representatives of their respective houses.

The new Panhel board, which will be led by President Alison Ng and Executive Vice President Janet Temko, consists of eight women and includes a member of each of Penn's seven current sorority houses.

After the transition ceremony, new members joined hands and pledged themselves to "the enhancement of the entire Greek system on [Penn's] campus."

Ng, a Phi Sigma Sigma sister, then led the new members in reciting a Greek responsibility statement.

Sisters promised to "uphold the standards of the University and conduct [themselves] in a way that reflects well on the University community."

After the ceremony came to a close, pledges flooded the stage, offering flowers, posters and their congratulations to new board members.

Ng said that she is looking forward to what she hopes will be a successful year for Penn's Greek community.

"I think this is really a pivotal year for Greek women," she said. "Now is the time to show the Penn community... how committed we are."

Ng added that one of Panhel's goals this year will be to "stress unity among all the chapters," especially in preparation for the addition of an eighth sorority, Sigma Kappa, to Penn's campus.

She added that she hopes this year will be an opportunity "for the University to recognize all of the positive contributions we make to this campus."

Ng also cited the efforts made by the outgoing board throughout the past year as a high standard to live up to.

"I just can't stress enough how amazing this outgoing Executive Board is," she said. "With their dedication and outstanding leadership, they have shaped the face of Panhellenic and the Greek system for the better."

Buppert said Panhel's major accomplishments over the past year have included the development and implementation of a new strategic plan -- the 2001 Plan for Excellence -- increasing awareness of national Panhel policies among current members and bringing a new chapter to Penn's campus.

"The board has been very good at creating a sense of community among the seven houses," she said.

Buppert added that while she will miss being involved in Greek leadership, she is looking forward to being able to "support the incoming board in their endeavors."

"I am very confident in their strengths as individuals,"she said. "And the combination, along with their new ideas, is going to make them very successful in the coming year."