Penn's two-year men's swimming captain Ian Bowman will compete in his final home meet on Saturday at Sheerr Pool, when the Quakers take on La Salle at 12:00 p.m. [Will Burhop/DP File Photo]

When Penn men's swimming team senior captain Ian Bowman first dove into Scheerr Pool over four years ago, he remembers the awe that the then-seniors inspired in his young freshman mind.

"I had a lot of respect for the older guys," Bowman said.

Now, Bowman along with five other seniors -- John Albietz, Matt Cornell, Dave Hausladen, Gabe Tompkins and captain Russell Zuckerman -- will take to the waters in Gimble Gymnasium for a final time when the Quakers face LaSalle on Saturday.

"This team has done a lot for me both athletically and socially," Bowman said. Saturday's meet "is going to be a little bit emotional.

It'll be interesting."

To honor the outgoing seniors, the team will hold a ceremony prior to the beginning of the meet.

"I say a few words about all of the men," Penn coach Mike Schnur said. "They give them all flowers, it's really nice."

In addition to the swimmers honoring their seniors, Penn parents and family member will also come to partake in the ceremony.

"They're really great," Schnur said. "We get a big crowd."

When these seniors came to Penn four years ago, the team was very different. The Quakers were lead by coach Kathy Lawlor-Gilbert struggled with the loss of several standout seniors from the previous year.

Penn finished in last place at Eastern championships, and the current seniors knew that they needed to rebuild.

Not only have the Red and Blue been able to rebuild in the past three years, but they are also slowing gaining a reputation of strength within the Ivy League.

"I think this team is going to be great," Bowman said. "They are going to surprise a lot of other teams and catch them off guard."

The Quakers currently hold a record of 4-4 in EISL competition and placed fifth at the prestigious Miami (OH) Invitational.

"The program has definitely turned around," Bowman said.

With La Salle looking to give the Quakers a fight, Penn will need to hold its own against the Explorers this weekend.

"La Salle is much improved over last year's team," Schnur said. "It should be a good challenge for us coming off how slowly we swam last weekend."

This meet will give Schnur's swimmers the opportunity to compete when they are more rested than they have been as of late.

"It's nice that this meet is one where they are not so exhausted," he said.

With their final home meet upon them, the seniors can only hope to go out strong.

"We have to take them down early and finish them off," he said.