This season, it all seemed to be falling into place for the Penn gymnastics team.

A strong class of freshmen was supposed to propel the Quakers to new heights of success this season.

Penn senior co-captain Lauren Hittner, sideline by an ACL tear last season, was set to compete in her first meet in over a year.

It was supposed to be a meet to get out the initial jitters and to also show the Ivy League that this year was going to be different.

But for the Red and Blue, their season opener against Ancient Eight foe Cornell was nothing short of a disappointment.

The Quakers failed to topple a team that they had hoped to beat with little effort.

Instead, Penn lost 188.975-182.875, a full six point margin, in their season debut.

Despite the overall result, there were some positives to come out of the Quakers performance on Saturday.

Six freshmen competed for the first time in their college careers this weekend and grabbed a large majority of Penn's points.

Penn freshman Laura Bouchelle broke through as the Red and Blue's star performer of the day.

In her collegiate debut, Bouchelle grabbed the meet-high score, 9.625, in the individual vaulting competition.

Fellow freshman Leah Moon performed well on the beam, scoring 9.5, but failed to outscore her Big Red opponent.

Rookie Colleen McGue took third in the floor exercise.

The lone sophomore to place for the Quakers was Christy Green, who finished tied for third in the vault. She also led the Red and Blue in the all-around competition with 36.475.

The Quakers compete again this weekend at the George Washington Invitational.