Executive Vice President John Fry, left, withdrew his name from consideration for UVM president. [Jacques-Jean Tiziou/DP File Photo]

Executive Vice President John Fry announced that he would withdraw his name from consideration for the vacant presidency at the University of Vermont yesterday, citing both personal and professional reasons.

Earlier this month, the UVM Presidential Search Committee named Fry as one of four finalists for the job, which has been filled by six different administrators in the last 13 years.

"This was a very difficult decision, and in the end, a family decision," Fry said in a statement yesterday. "After a great deal of soul-searching, I decided to do what I thought best from both a personal and professional perspective."

During his eight years at Penn, Fry has helped revitalize West Philadelphia, specifically the 40th Street area between Spruce and Walnut streets. He also helped develop the Walnut Street area between 36th and 37th streets now known as Sansom Common.

The former Coopers and Lybrand management consultant also played a key role in the development and implementation of the Agenda for Excellence, Penn's recent blueprint for success.

The remaining candidates for the UVM presidency are Daniel Fogel, the executive vice chancellor and provost at Louisiana State University, Ralph Muller, the former president and chief executive officer of the University of Chicago Health System and Steven Poskanzer, the interim president of the State University of New York at New Paltz and a former Penn associate general counsel.

UVM Search Committee and Trustee Chairman Bruce Lisman expressed his disappointment with Fry's decision, although he said the committee would continue on its current schedule and still plans to select a president by the end of the month.

"Of course we are disappointed that [Fry] has withdrawn," Lisman said in a statement. "That said, we have three terrific candidates under active consideration, and I have every confidence that we will conclude the search successfully."

Fry noted in his statement that his withdrawal was in no way due to dissatisfaction with the search committee's selection process.

"I had a wonderful experience with the search process at Vermont and met a number of really terrific people," Fry said. "My only regret is that I will not have an opportunity to work with them."

UVM's current search for a president has been preceded by over a decade of short-lived executive leadership. This is the university's third presidential search since 1989.

After Judith Ramaley, UVM's most recent president, resigned last February under the pressure of a dissatisfied Board of Trustees, a 20-member search committee was appointed and vowed to avoid past mistakes that had produced such a high turnover of leaders.

But in spite of being short one candidate, the remaining nominees will be visiting the UVM campus this week in order to give the university community the opportunity to learn more about its prospective president.

And on Saturday, the Board of Trustees plans to begin its final deliberations over the job.

"UVM is an extremely well-regarded institution worthy of its excellent national reputation," Fry said in his statement. "I wish the university well in its search for a new president, and I am sure that outstanding new leadership will be identified for the future."

University President Judith Rodin was unable to be reached for comment on Fry's decision to withdraw his name.

Related Articles: John Fry: A valued executive for Penn

Fry up for U. Vermont presidency